ICD-9-CM Addenda, Conversion Table, and Guidelines
The annual update to ICD-9-CM is provided as addenda changes to the index and tabular list of ICD-9-CM. In the index, additions are marked with bold and underlining, revisions are marked with bold, underlining and italic, while deletions are marked with bold and strikeout
The addenda below are effective October 1, 2011.
Note: These addenda were created on 06/10/2011.
- ICD-9-CM Index Addenda [PDF - 252 KB]. 43 pp. (10/01/2011)
- ICD-9-CM Tabular Addenda [PDF - 182 KB]. 49 pp. (10/01/2011)
Note: These errata were posted on 06/30/2011.
- ICD-9-CM Index Addenda Errata [PDF - 16 KB]. 1 pp.
- ICD-9-CM Tabular Addenda Errata [PDF - 32 KB]. 2 pp.
The addenda below are effective October 1, 2010.
Note: These addenda were posted on 05/20/2010.
- ICD-9-CM Index Addenda [PDF - 155 KB]. 26 pp. (10/01/2010)
- ICD-9-CM Tabular Addenda [PDF - 132 KB]. 39 pp. (10/01/2010)
As part of the 2009 Addenda for ICD-9-CM, an expansion has been made changing the three digit code 488 to a category, with two new codes added: 488.0, Influenza due to identified avian influenza virus, and 488.1, Influenza due to identified novel H1N1 influenza virus. These codes have been created to provide data capture for the novel H1N1 influenza virus (swine flu virus), which was first identified in April, after the March 2009 ICD-9-CM Coordination and Maintenance Committee meeting.
In response to questions received about the H1N1 influenza virus and pneumonia the following information is provided: Patients with H1N1 influenza can develop either bacterial or viral pneumonia. When the documentation does not specify whether the pneumonia is bacterial or viral, assign code 488.1, Influenza due to identified novel H1N1 influenza virus, and code 486, Pneumonia, organism unspecified, for H1N1 influenza with pneumonia. If the provider has documented the specific organism or type of pneumonia (e.g.., Streptococcus pneumoniae), it is appropriate to assign the more specific code instead of code 486. Do not assign code 487.0, Influenza with pneumonia, since 487.0 is used for regular seasonal flu, not H1N1 influenza.
Sequencing of the principal diagnosis will be dependent on the circumstances of admission.
The addenda below are effective October 1, 2009.
Note: These addenda were created on 06/03/2009.
Note: These errata were created on 07/20/2009.
- ICD-9-CM Index Addenda Errata [PDF - 30 KB]. 2 pp.
- ICD-9-CM Tabular Addenda Errata [PDF - 15 KB]. 1 pp.
The addenda below were effective October 1, 2008.
Note: These addenda were updated on 05/30/2008.
- ICD-9-CM Index Addenda [PDF - 306 KB]. 52 pp. (10/01/2008)
- ICD-9-CM Tabular Addenda [PDF - 280 KB]. 72 pp. (10/01/2008)
- ICD-9-CM Tabular 5th digits [PDF - 194 KB]. 36 pp. (10/01/2008)
Note: These addenda were created on 07/18/2008.
- ICD-9-CM Index Addenda Errata [PDF - 17 KB]. 1 pp. (10/01/2008)
- ICD-9-CM Tabular Addenda Errata [PDF - 14 KB]. 1 pp. (10/01/2008)
A conversion table for diagnostic and procedural code changes between 1986-2013 is provided to assist users in data retrieval. The table shows the date the new code became effective and its previously assigned code equivalent. New codes effective October 1, 2013, are shown in bold.
- ICD-9-CM Code Conversion Table [PDF - 157 KB] 60 pp. (10/01/2013)
Note: This Conversion table was updated on 06/17/2013.
Official Guidelines for coding are included on the CD-ROM. They have been approved by the Cooperating Parties and the Editorial Advisory Board for Coding Clinic for the ICD-9-CM.
- ICD-9-CM Guidelines [PDF - 458 KB]. 107 pp.
Note: (Updated on 08/23/11 and are effective as of 10/01/2011) This document was re-posted to correct a numbering error that appeared on page 83 of the guidelines which were posted on 08/11/11. If you downloaded the previous document you will need to download this updated document.