Selecting records allows you to select a subset of records for tabulating or exporting data. If subsetting is necessary, it must be completed before making a table.
- At the opening menu, click the + sign to the left of the Data folder. Names of data files drop down. Click on a file name>Tabulate data. This command will provide you with an empty spreadsheet to build a table.
- Select Records>Select.
- Click Assist.
- To select from the field list, type in the field name or left-click twice to display the list and select the appropriate field names.
To select from the code list, type in the code value or left-click twice. For instance, if you want to select a subset of women, double-click on the sex field under the field list and the code for female under the code list.
You may select from the following operators:
- = equal to
- != not equal to
- > greater than
- < less than
- >=greater than or equal to
- <=less than or equal to
- : in ("in" operators are used to collect records in or not in an interval)
- !: not in
- If you have more than one criteria for the subset, make sure to chose the appropriate connector.
- For a list of the total records found matching the criteria selected, click Refresh.
- Click Accept.
Click Select to collect the records of the subset. (Once records have been selected, you may change your selection by choosing Records> Clear. To select new records, you must repeat the records selection process.)
- The system will not retain a selected subset. Changing to a different option (such as from Tabulate to Export) will clear the selected subset.
- To retain the subset for further use, save the expression to the hard drive before selecting the records. The subset expression can be loaded at a later time for use with another option.