These instructions will walk you through the process of building a simple table using the SETS 2.0 Template. Experienced users may not need to use this template, and can choose the Advanced option. Additionally, users wishing to make many tables may want to use the QuickTab table generator from the SETS folder.
At the opening menu, click the + sign to the left of the Data folder. Names of data files drop down. Click on a file name > Tabulate data. This command will provide you with an empty spreadsheet to build a table.
- To select a subset of records, see Selecting Records. To recode fields, see Recoding Fields.
- On the menu bar, click Table Assist, which opens the Table Assistance window.
Complete steps 1-4 below:
- Select fields:
Choose the fields for the variables you wish to use to build the table. SETS 2.0 will tabulate a two-way table. If you are selecting multiple fields, consider creating a series of tables.
- The order that the fields appear is important, as the first field name will make up the y-axis of your table.
- You may add and remove field labels by highlighting the field and clicking on the appropriate button, or by double-clicking on the actual field name in the fields and recodes listing.
- Once the fields have been selected, click on the #2 tab.
- Nesting options:
- Select the counts, percent, or rates box(es), as needed. Also, select or change weights or rates, as appropriate.
- Click the #3 tab to continue.
- Generate statements:
- If needed, check the Abbreviate box. (See explanation provided on the template).
- Click the Generate button. The table statements selected will appear in the Table selection box. Check the statements to make sure the fields and nesting options were correctly chosen.
- The resulting table will produce data according to the specifications chosen in Selecting fields and Nesting options.
- To generate another table, go back to (1) Select fields and repeat steps (1) through (3). SETS 2.0 will allow you to create 4-6 tables at one time.
- Click on the #4 tab to continue.
- Begin tabulation:
- Check the Labels box to provide the full name(s) of the variable(s) chosen.
- Check the Zero's box to include rows where the cells have a zero value. Otherwise, the rows with a zero value will be excluded.
- Check Exprs to display the formula used for generating rates.
- Click Begin, when ready to build the table. SETS will begin to generate the table.
- Once SETS has tabulated the data a screen will pop-up and notify you that the table is done. Click OK. (Note: to stop the program, go to Table - Stop.)
Finished tables can be saved or printed in various formats, including Excel. However, you can only save to Excel 4.0, as versions 5.0 and 7.0 do not work in this revision of SETS 2.0.