NCHS Data Linked to Social Security Benefit History Data
NCHS has developed a record linkage program designed to maximize the scientific value of the Center's population-based surveys. NCHS is currently linking various NCHS surveys with the Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance (OASDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefit records collected from the Social Security Administration (SSA). Linkage of the NCHS survey participants with the SSA-OASDI and SSA-SSI data provides the opportunity to further study the elderly and disabled U.S. population.
Overview of NCHS-SSA Linkage
The NCHS health surveys listed below were linked to five SSA Administrative Data Files: the Master Beneficiary Record (MBR) file, the Supplemental Security Record file (SSR), the Payment History Update System (PHUS) file, the 831 Disability Master File (831) and a special extract of summarized quarters of coverage (QOC) from the Master Earnings File. A quick overview of the files can be found in the Description of the Linkage [PDF - 17 KB] and a more detailed description of these files and the variables contained in each file can be found in the NCHS-SSA data codebook [PDF - 1.9 MB].
- 1994-2005 National Health Interview Survey (NHIS)
- NHANES I Epidemiologic Follow-up Study (NHEFS)
- Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III)
- 1999-2004 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey
- The Second Longitudinal Study of Aging (LSOA II)
- 1985, 1995, 1997, & 2004 National Nursing Home Survey (NNHS)
Accessing the NCHS-SSA Data
The linked NCHS-SSA files are restricted-use files that can be accessed through the NCHS Research Data Center (RDC). NCHS has created Feasibility Study Data files to assist researchers who are considering submitting an RDC application to analyze the linked NCHS-SSA data.
- Description of the linkage [PDF - 17 KB]
- NCHS-SSA data codebook [PDF - 1.9 MB]
- Description of SSA programs [PDF - 68 KB]
- Analytic issues [PDF - 214 KB]
- SSA linkage methodology report [PDF - 114 KB]
- Match rate table for NCHS-SSA linked data [PDF - 60 KB]
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) regarding the NCHS-SSA OASDI/SSI benefit files (Coming soon)
After carefully reviewing web documentation, any remaining questions can be directed to:
Questions regarding access to the NCHS-SSA data files:
Email: NCHS Research Data Center Data Query
Questions pertaining to SSA data file content and methodology issues:
Email: NCHS Data Linkage Team