Bacterial Special Pathogens Branch (BSPB) Mission Statement
- Provides assistance in control of endemic and epidemics disease, and exploits opportunities to improve control and prevention of bacterial zoonotic diseases and mycobacterium infections other than tuberculosis;
- Provides subject matter expertise for preparedness and emergency response for anthrax, brucellosis, melioidosis, and glanders;
- Provides reference and diagnostic activities for agents causing these diseases and for the identification of unknown bacterial isolates associated with human diseases;
- Conducts laboratory research for improved laboratory identification and subtyping of bacterial zoonoses and identification of novel bacterial pathogens;
- Develops, implements, and evaluates domestic and international prevention strategies for these diseases;
- Collaborates with other CDC NCs, NCZVED divisions, state and federal agencies, Ministers of Health, WHO, PAHO, private partners and other governmental organizations involved in public health.