Molecular Epidemiology Laboratory
Mission: Developing and applying molecular methods for parasitic disease surveillance and outbreak investigations to prevent waterborne disease.
- Investigates the molecular epidemiology of enteric parasites in humans and animals
- Genotypes and subtypes waterborne protozoan pathogens (Cryptosporidium, Giardia, Microsporidia, Naegleria fowleri)
- Tracks sources of protozoan parasites
- Develops and manages CryptoNet–CDC's first national molecular surveillance system for a parasite–a national DNA-based system for understanding U.S. transmission of cryptosporidiosis
- Conducts clinical and environmental sample analyses