CDC Expert Commentaries on Medscape are part of a collaboration between CDC and Medscape. They are designed to deliver CDC's authoritative guidance directly to Medscape's physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and other healthcare professionals. The Division contributes regular Medscape commentaries on a variety of topics, including those below.
Find out simple and quick ways to reach your patients about foodborne illness, outbreaks, and foods to avoid or handle correctly. Topics include:
- 5 Cases of Food Poisoning: Can You Identify the Pathogen?
- Clinical Impact of Antibiotic-Resistant Salmonella
- Foodborne and Enteric Infections in Children
- Botulism: Countering Common Clinical Misperceptions
- Major Foodborne Illness Outbreaks of 2012
- Suspecting Foodborne Illnesses in Special Populations:
Quick Facts for Providers
- Listeria: Food Poisoning’s Rare but Deadly Germ
- The Major Foodborne Illness Outbreaks of 2011
- Hold the Raw Sprouts, Please
- Savvy about Salmonella?
- Got Milk? Don't Get Raw Milk! A Cautionary Tale.
- Foodborne Illness: A Handy Overview
Talk to your patients about the importance of clean water.
- Keratitis and Contact Lens Use
- Brain-Eating Ameba: Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis
- Clean Drinking Water and How to Get It: Advising Patients
- Is Waterborne Disease Still an Issue in the United States?
- Shedding New Light on a Potentially Blinding Eye Infection
- When to Consider Cholera
- Talk to Patients About Recreational Water Health Risks
Learn about fungal infections that may appear in your patients and when to suspect them.
- Fungal Disease: A Growing Nemesis
- Valley Fever: Diagnosis and Treatment
- Fungal Endophthalmitis: Diagnosis and Treatment
- Fungal Infection Outbreak: What Should Physicians Be Doing?
- Mucormycosis: When to Think Fungal Infection
Healthy Pets, Healthy People
Help your patients make sure their pets aren't making them sick. Topics include:
- Major Outbreaks of Enteric Zoonoses in 2012
- Pet Turtles Can Make People Sick: Guidance for Clinicians
- Pets Can Make People Sick