Investigation Update on the Zaandam
Cruise Line: Holland America Line
Cruise Ship: Zaandam
Voyage Dates: 2/5-2/20
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers: 74 of 1408 (5.3%)
Number of ill crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew: 21 of 590 (3.6%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Holland America Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- notified passengers onboard the ship,
- staffed the ship with a senior medical specialist for additional support,
- notified oncoming passengers,
- staffed the ship with an additional cleaning crew in San Diego,
- collected stool specimens for analysis.
Holland America Line will continue to report the number of ill people to CDC until the number of ill people returns to expected levels.