Investigation Update on the Grande Caribe
Cruise Line: American Canadian Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Grande Caribe
Voyage Dates: 9/30-10 /12
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 29 of 68 (43%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 8 of 17 (47%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, American Canadian Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- collected stool specimens for analysis,
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels.
The ship sailed in Canadian waters; Health Canada took the lead on conducting an onboard investigation.
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009
- Page last updated: July 20, 2009
- Content source: