Investigation Update on the Caribbean Princess
Cruise Line: Princess Cruises
Cruise Ship: Caribbean Princess
Voyage Dates: 10/19-10/26
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers at the end of the voyage: 172 of 3081 (5.58%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew at the end of the voyage: 13 of 1161 (1.12%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Princess Cruises and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- sent daily updates to CDC and until the number of ill people returned to expected levels,
- notified oncoming passengers of the illness,
- delayed disembarkation in order to clean in disinfect the ship in greater detail, and
- collected stool specimens for analysis.
Princess Cruises sent daily updates to VSP until the number of ill people returned to expected levels on voyage 11/02-11/09.