Investigation Update on the Volendam
Cruise Line: Holland America Line
Cruise Ship: Volendam
Voyage Dates: 1/2-1/12
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 85 of 1451 (5.86%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 7 of 608 (1.15%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Holland America Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- sent senior environmental health specialists for additional support;
- sent additional staff to support the increased cleaning and disinfection;
- collected stool specimens for analysis;
- delayed the time of embarkation;
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels.
On January 12th, VSP staff boarded the ship to conduct a targeted environmental health assessment and make recommendations. During the following voyage (sailing dates 1/12-1/22) the number of ill people returned to expected levels. The voyage subsequent to that one (sailing dates 1/22-2/1), the number of people that reported being ill increased; VSP continued to monitor the ship until the numbers returned and remained at expected levels again (voyage with sailing dates: 2/1-2/11).