Investigation Update on the Norwegian Dream
Cruise Line: Norwegian Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Norwegian Dream
Voyage Dates: 4/13-5 /1
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 99 of 1579 (6.27%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 9 of 735 (1.22%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Norwegian Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- collected stool specimens for analysis,
- sent a senior public health official aboard the ship for additional support, and
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels.
A team of VSP staff boarded the ship on April 27th in Key West, FL to conduct a targeted environmental health investigation and make recommendations. After that voyage, NCL took the ship out of service for it's scheduled dry dock. During dry dock, crew remain aboard the ship, VSP staff continued to monitor the ship during dry dock and until the number of ill people returned to expected levels (voyage: 5/11/08-5/18/08).
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009
- Page last updated: July 20, 2009
- Content source: