Investigation Update on the Norwegian Dawn
Cruise Line: Norwegian Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Norwegian Dawn
Voyage Dates: 10/14-10/26
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 149 of 2169 (6.85%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 15 of 1056 (1.42%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: Norwegian Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions to respond to the outbreak:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- submitted stools specimens for analysis,
- provided daily updates about the illness to VSP until the number of ill people returneds to expected levels.
On October 26, VSP staff boarded the ship in New York to conduct an environmental health assessment, evaluate infection control procedures, and make recommendations. During the following two voyages (10/26-10/28 and 10/26-11/11), the number of ill passengers and crew have not returned to expected levels. On November 11, VSP staff boarded the ship in Miami to conduct a targeted environmental health investigation and make recommendations. Norwegian Dawn staff continued to send daily updates to VSP throughout the following voyage (11/11-11/18); the number of ill people returned to expected levels.
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009
- Page last updated: July 20, 2009
- Content source: