Investigation Update on the Zaandam
Cruise Line: Holland America Line
Cruise Ship: Zaandam
Voyage Dates: 11/5-11/20
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 91 of 1371 (6.64%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 8 of 616 (1.3%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Holland America Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures aboard the ship and in the terminal,
- made onboard announcements about the illness,
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels,
- notified oncoming passengers about the illness,
- delayed passenger embarkation on the next voyage
- collected stool specimens for analysis.
Medical staff aboard the ship continued to make daily gastrointestinal illness reports to CDC throughout the following voyage (sailing dates: 11/20-12/5). VSP staff continues provide assistance to the ship. The number of ill people returned to expected levels after two subsequent voyages (sailing dates: 12/5-12/20).