Investigation Update on the Empress of the North
Cruise Line: Majestic America Line
Cruise Ship: Empress of the North
Voyage Dates: 3/16-3/21
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 26 of 169 (15.4%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 7 of 77 (9.1%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Majestic America Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- distributed questionnaires,
- cleaned and sanitized the ship in between voyages,
- sent daily updates to CDC and will continue to do so until the number of ill people returns to expected levels,
- collected stool specimens for analysis.
CDC staff worked Majestic America Line to monitor the outbreak and provide assistance. The number of people on the ship with symptoms of gastrointestinal illness has returned to expected levels.