Investigation Update on the Queen Elizabeth 2
Cruise Line: Cunard Line
Cruise Ship: Queen Elizabeth 2
Voyage Dates: 1/8-1/22/07
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 276 of 1652 (16.71%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 28 of 1002 (2.79%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Cunard Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- notified passengers aboard the ship,
- provided daily guidance on how to avoid infection,
- staffed the ship with environmental health specialists to provide additional support,
- collected stool specimens for analysis.
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels,
On January 19th, VSP staff boarded the ship in Acapulco and sailed through the remainder of the voyage. They conducted an onboard investigation, distributed and analyzed passenger and crew surveys, interviewed ill people, conducted an environmental health inspection, and made recommendations.
By the following voyage, the number of passengers and crew who reported symptoms of gastrointestinal illnesses returned to expected levels.