Investigation Update on the Spirit of Nantucket
Cruise Line: Cruise West
Cruise Ship: Spirit of Nantucket
Voyage Dates: 1/27-2/3
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers: 8 of 36 (22.22%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 10 of 35 (28.57%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Cruise West and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- sent environmental health staff to the ship for additional support,
- notified passengers aboard the ship,
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returned to expected levels,
- collected stool specimens for analysis.
VSP staff boarded the ship in Fort Lauderdale on February 11th to conduct an environmental health investigation and make recommendations.
The number of ill passengers and crew who reported symptoms of gastrointestinal illnesses returned to expected levels after two voyages (sailing dates: 2/10-2/17).
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009
- Page last updated: July 20, 2009
- Content source: