Investigation Update on the Emerald Princess
Cruise Line: Princess Cruises
Cruise Ship: Emerald Princess
Voyage Dates: 12/16-12/26
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passengers at the end of the voyage: 156 of 3209 (4.86%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew at the end of the voyage: 22 of 1211 (1.82%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Princess Cruises and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- sent environmental health staff to the ship between voyages for additional support,
- notified passengers aboard the ship,
- sent daily updates to CDC and until the number of ill people returned to expected levels,
- collected stool specimens for analysis.
VSP staff boarded the ship in Port Everglades on December 26th to conduct targeted environmental health assessment and make recommendations.
VSP staff continued to monitor the ship until the number of ill people returned to expected levels; during the following voyage (sailing dates: 12/26-1/5) the number of people that reported symptoms of gastrointestinal illnesses returned to expected levels.
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009
- Page last updated: July 20, 2009
- Content source: