Investigation Update on the Zenith
Cruise Line: Celebrity Cruises
Cruise Ship: Zenith
Voyage Dates: 4/2-4/13
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers: 89 of 1363 (6.53%)
Number of ill crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew: 11 of 613 (1.79%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Celebrity Cruises and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- sent daily updates to CDC and until the number of ill people returned to expected levels,
- sent environmental health staff to the ship for additional support,
- notified passengers aboard the ship,
- notified travel agents to tell oncoming passengers,
- conducted additional cleaning and disinfection procedures onboard the ship and in the terminal and buses between voyages,
- collected stool specimens for analysis.
On April 13th, VSP staff boarded the ship in Tampa; they conducted a targeted environmental investigation and made recommendations. By the following voyage, the number of ill people had decreased; after April 28th, the ship was no longer sailing in the U.S. and not under the jurisdiction of VSP.