Investigation Update on the Diamond Princess
Cruise Line: Princess Cruises
Cruise Ship: Diamond Princess
Voyage Dates: 9/2-9/9/06
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passenger: 127 of 2643 (4.81%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 4 of 1120 (0.36%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: Princess Cruises and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions to respond to the outbreak:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- provided daily cleaning teams in terminals,
- sent daily updates to CDC until the number of ill people returns to an expected level,
- delayed disembarkation.
Causative Agent: Stool specimens tested positive for norovirus.
The number of ill people returned to expected levels for the voyage ending on 9/23/06.
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009
- Page last updated: July 20, 2009
- Content source: