Investigation Update on the Constellation
Cruise Line: Celebrity Cruises
Cruise Ship: Constellation
Voyage Dates: 10/27-11/7/06
Number of ill passengers out of total number of passenger: 72 of 1776 (4.05%)
Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 13 of 967 (1.34%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
Actions: Celebrity Cruises and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions to respond to the outbreak:
- increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- provided daily updates throughout the following voyage until the number of ill people returned to expected levels,
- delayed embarkation for the following voyage,
- submitted stool specimens for analysis.
VSP staff boarded the ship on November 4th and sailed the remainder of the voyage. On board the ship VSP:
- conducted a targeted environmental health investigation,
- review medical logs,
- consult with medical staff,
- observe cleaning and disinfection procedures,
- surveyed ill passengers and crew,
- and make recommendations.
The number of ill people returned to expected levels by the voyage that ended on 11/27/06.
- Page last reviewed: July 15, 2009
- Page last updated: July 20, 2009
- Content source: