- Physicians (MD, DO, MBBS, etc.). Physicians with at least one year of clinical training and an active, unrestricted, U.S. license to practice their clinical specialties.
- Doctoral-level Scientists (PhD, DrPH, ScD, etc.). Doctoral-level scientists with backgrounds in epidemiology; biostatistics; the biological, environmental, social, behavioral, nutritional sciences; or other relevant health science.
- Medical Professionals (DDS, RN, PA, etc.). Dentists, nurses, physician assistants, etc., with a master of public health (MPH) or equivalent degree and have an active, unrestricted, U.S. license to practice their clinical specialties.
- Veterinarians (DVM, VMD, etc.). Veterinarians with either an MPH (or equivalent degree) or relevant public health experience and an active, unrestricted, U.S. license to practice.
- Non-U.S. citizens must be eligible for J1 exchange visitor status. CDC will sponsor the J1 visa.
EIS officers and NCEH/ATSDR employees come from a diverse background in environmental and occupational health, including industrial hygiene, epidemiology, biostatistics, toxicology, chemistry, as well as infectious diseases, immunology, microbiology, pharmacology, engineering, etc.