A Public Health Perspective on Onsite Wastewater Systems [PDF - 135 KB] – Article discusses public health issues such as exposure to wastewater pathogens and how system construction is influenced by rapid growth in many areas. This is one in a series of monthly Environmental Health Services Branch columns in the Journal of Environmental Health.
Biologic and Infectious Waste – This section from Emergency and Terrorism Preparedness for Environmental Health Practitioners contains general information on waste issues as well as new and emerging issues in biologic and infectious waste.
Enhancing the Public Health Perspective on Onsite Wastewater Systems [PDF - 325 KB] – Article on the need to develop monitoring methodologies and conduct epidemiologic studies that can enhance knowledge of onsite wastewater systems. This is one in a series of monthly Environmental Health Services Branch columns in the Journal of Environmental Health.
Environmental Public Health Online Courses (EPHOC) – Comprehensive online/on-demand package of courses for environmental public health practitioners including a module on wastewater.
Healthy Housing Reference Manual – This revision provides information on the impact of housing on health and safety and includes a chapter on onsite wastewater treatment.
Onsite Wastewater System Nitrogen Contributions to Groundwater in Coastal North Carolina [PDF - 388 KB] – Article evaluates nitrogen contributions from onsite wastewater systems to groundwater and surface waters in an effort to better understand the link of onsite systems, fate of nitrogen in the environment, and public health.
South Bass Island Assessment [PDF - 1 MB] –Environmental health assessment in 2004 identified potential sources of water contamination on Lake Erie's South Bass Island.
Wastewater Management – Overview of how land use decisions related to wastewater management affect water quality and public health.
Water Security – This section from Emergency and Terrorism Preparedness for Environmental Health Practitioners provides information on the protection of water supplies as well as on responding to contamination threats and incidents.
Reports by Environmental Public Health Leadership Institute Graduates
We have many Wastewater reports that were prepared by graduates of CDC’s Environmental Public Health Leadership Institute. These documents have not been revised or edited to conform to agency standards. The findings and conclusions in these reports are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. For more reports search the EPHLI fellow projects page.
Links to information from outside CDC
CDC Looks at Links Between Wastewater and Disease [PDF - 592 KB] (Small Flows Quarterly) – Article announcing the formation of the Environmental Health Services Branch.
EPA Wastewater Resources – (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency)
- Decentralized Wastewater System Paper – Short papers/factsheets for state, local, and tribal governments addressing the economic, environmental, and public-health-related aspects of decentralized wastewater treatment
- Principles and Design of Onsite Waste Disposal With Septic Systems – Principles of on-site treatment, design, and siting, as well as soil basics and water conservation.
- Septic (Onsite/Decentralized) Systems – Links to information about septic systems.
- SepticSmart – Website provides resources to homeowners regarding their septic system and wastewater management needs.
- Wastewater Management – Links to information about wastewater management.
- Weather & Hydrologic Forecasting for Water Utility Incident Preparedness and Response [PDF - 2 MB] – Water and wastewater utility weather and forecasting information.
Groundwater Protection Council (Groundwater Protection Council) – National association of state groundwater agencies.
Hazard Alert: Biological Hazards in Sewage and Wastewater Treatment Plants – (Center for Construction Research and Training) Hazards workers may encounter during construction and maintenance of sewage and wastewater plants.
Knowledge Area: Onsite Wastewater Systems (Water Environment Research Foundation) – Searchable database with news, products, and tools on wastewater management.
Local Board of Health Guide to On-Site Wastewater Treatment Systems [PDF - 933 KB] (National Association of Local Boards of Health) – Print and companion video/DVD guide designed to help local boards of health understand their roles in an effective on-site wastewater treatment program.
National Onsite Wastewater Recycling Association (National Onsite Wastewater Recycling Association) – National professional organization to advance and promote the onsite wastewater industry.
National Small Flows Clearinghouse (National Environmental Services Center) – Organization providing objective information about onsite wastewater collection and treatment program.
Onsite Consortium (Consortium of Institutes for Decentralized Wastewater Treatment) – Group of educational institutions cooperating on decentralized wastewater training and research efforts.
Onsite Sewage Treatment Program (University of Minnesota) – Information on wastewater treatment for homeowners, small communities, professionals and policy-makers.
Onsite Wastewater Systems (U.S. Geological Survey) – Research projects on emerging contaminants.
- Evaluation of Approaches for Managing Nitrate Loading from On-Site Wastewater Systems near La Pine, Oregon [PDF - 8 MB]
- Methods to Evaluate Influence of Onsite Septic Wastewater-Treatment Systems on Base Flow in Selected Watersheds in Gwinnett County, Georgia, October 2007 [PDF - 3.45 MB]
- Water-Quality Effects and Characterization of Indicators of Onsite Wastewater Disposal Systems in the East-Central Black Hills Area, South Dakota, 2006-08 [PDF - 6.25 MB]
Septic Systems and Soil Properties (North Carolina State University) – Program offers a series of fact sheets and training on septic systems and waste management.
Slug Discharge Control and Spill Containment Policy (Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County) – Industrial waste policy developed to provide guidance to industrial users to prevent the accidental or inappropriate discharge of restricted materials to the sanitary sewer system.
Stormwater Manager’s Resource Center (SMRC) (Center for Watershed Protection) – Technical assistance on stormwater management issues.
Treatment of Household Wastewater (National Ag Safety Database) – Ideas to treat and handle wastewater when using a septic tank or similar on-site wastewater system.
- Page last reviewed: November 16, 2012
- Page last updated: June 12, 2015
- Content source: