EHS-Net Partners - San Mateo County
The County of San Mateo Health Department is an EHS-Net practice partner. The County of San Mateo EHS-Net program is working on a food practice project in FY 2010-2015.
Reduction of Campylobacter
This project will focus on reducing the county’s high Campylobacter infection rates. San Mateo staff will
- Collect and monitor data on the incidence of Campylobacter.
- Develop and evaluate targeted interventions based on these data.
- Establish strategic partnerships with community organizations.
- Increase public awareness of Campylobacter and its associated health risks.
Project objectives over the 5-year period include
- Reducing incidence of Campylobacter infection by 15%-25%.
- Decreasing food facility risk factors associated with raw chicken handling by 50%.
- Increasing food handler knowledge of Campylobacter risk and safe food handling practices associated with raw chicken by 50%.
- Increasing the public’s knowledge and awareness of the environmental health role in public health by 30%-40%.