EHS-Net Partners - Cerro Gordo County
The Cerro Gordo County Department of Public Health is an EHS-Net practice partner. The Cerro Gordo EHS-Net program is working on a water practice project in FY 2010-2015.
Arsenic in Groundwater
The Cerro Gordo County Department of Health and partner organizations are working to minimize the risk for arsenic exposure from wells. As part of this work, they are
- Determining groundwater arsenic concentrations,
- Identifying possible sources of arsenic, and
- Establishing best practices for well construction to minimize the risk of arsenic exposure.
The partners are sampling and analyzing selected private wells twice a year during the wet and dry seasons for 3 years. They are also collecting and analyzing rock samples from new wells gain insight to the groundwater concentrations of arsenic. The results could affect local policy changes that may include new drilling or sampling methods for all wells.
- Page last reviewed: December 13, 2012
- Page last updated: December 13, 2012
- Content source: