EHS-Net Completed Projects
This page lists completed EHS-Net food safety projects and study objectives grouped by study topic.
Studies on Foodborne Illness Outbreaks and Their Environmental Antecedents
- Evaluation of Outbreak and Nonoutbreak Restaurants to identify pathogens and contributing factors associated with restaurant-related foodborne illness outbreaks and food-safety differences between outbreak and nonoutbreak restaurants, through systematic environmental evaluations.
- Foodborne Illness Outbreak Study to identify contributing factors to foodborne illness outbreaks in food-service facilities and to describe the characteristics, policies and practices of those facilities. Food-service facilities include restaurants, delis, cafeterias, schools, nursing homes, etc.
Studies on Restaurant Food Handling/Food Safety Practices
- Beef Grinding Logs Study to describe recordkeeping practices of beef grinding activities in retail establishments.
- Egg Handling Practices Study to identify the prevalence of high-risk egg-handling practices and establishment policies in restaurants that serve breakfast all day.
- Food Workers’ Food Preparation Practices Focus Group Study to evaluate behavioral factors, barriers, and motivations that influence safe food-handling practices in food-service establishments.
- Food Workers’ Food Preparation Practices Population Study to determine self-reported prevalence of food service workers’ safe and unsafe food preparation practices at the population level.
- Ground Beef Handling Practices Study to evaluate ground beef handling practices and the use of irradiated ground beef in restaurants.
- Hand Hygiene Study to describe restaurant food workers' hand hygiene practices and identify factors associated with safe hand hygiene practices.
- Ill Food Worker Study to describe the frequency with which food workers work while experiencing vomiting or diarrhea and factors associated with working with these symptoms.
- Tomato Handling Practices Study to identify the types of tomatoes used in restaurants, describe tomato-handling practices, and to identify factors associated with safer tomato-handling practices.
Studies on Retail Food Safety Program Practices
- Environmental Health Specialists’ Inspection and Outbreak Investigation Practices Focus Group Study to evaluate the knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of environmental health specialists regarding inspections and outbreak investigations.
- Manager Certification and Inspection Scores Study to determine if the presence of a certified kitchen manager results in fewer critical violations.
Study on the General Public’s Beliefs About Gastrointestinal Illness
- Beliefs About Sources of Gastrointestinal Illness Population Study to increase understanding of the population’s experiences with and beliefs about gastrointestinal illness.
- Page last reviewed: April 6, 2012
- Page last updated: August 13, 2014
- Content source: