EHS has armed thousands of environmental health professionals with the knowledge and tools needed to effectively protect and assist in public health. This page provides links to EHS training.
Emergency and Terrorism Preparedness for Environmental Health Practitioners – Clearinghouse of information resources related to emergency preparedness for environmental health practitioners.
Environmental Health Training in Emergency Response (EHTER) – Ten modules that focus on key environmental health issues and challenges for emergency response.
Environmental Public Health Leadership Institute (EPHLI) – Information on the 1-year CDC program to enhance leadership capabilities of state and local environmental public health specialists [historical information provided as a resource to the public health community; program is not currently active].
Environmental Public Health Online Courses (EPHOC) – A comprehensive online/on-demand package of 15 courses for environmental public health practitioners including the following:
- General Environmental Health
- Statutes and Regulations
- Food Protection
- Potable Water
- Solid and Hazardous Waste
- Hazardous Materials
- Zoonoses, Vectors, Pests, and Weeds
- Disaster Sanitation
Environmental Public Health Performance Standards – Standards that can be used to assess local, state and tribal capability to perform the 10 essential services of environmental public health at all levels.
Integrated Pest Management (IPM) – EHS-sponsored training courses and information about IPM.
Pictorial Keys to Arthropods, Reptiles, Birds, and Mammals of Public Health Significance – Pictorial keys used to teach animal identification to personnel (sanitarians, engineers, physicians, veterinarians, etc.) without special training in taxonomy [historical information provided as a resource to the public health community].
Summer Undergraduate Program in Environmental Health (SUPEH) – A 10-week summer environmental internship for juniors and seniors majoring in Environmental Health.
Swimming Pool Inspectors Interactive Training CD-ROM – Tool for training environmental health personnel and as a review for experienced staff.
Other CDC Training
Links to information from outside CDC
Ask SPHERE – Clearinghouse of public health training programs, materials, and resources based at the Southeast Public Health Training Center.
Basic Environmentalist Training Course Materials and Advanced Course Information (Alabama Department of Public Health) – Links to materials on food microbiology, plumbing and cross connection control, and epidemiology.
Geolibrary.org – Global Environmental and Occupational Health E-Library of training materials and practice tools.
National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO) Toolbox – Free online collection of local public health tools produced by members of the public health community.
National Association of Local Boards of Health Environmental Health Primer – Document for local boards of health on environmental health issues such as air quality, food safety, drinking water, wastewater, solid waste, hazardous waste, vector control, injury prevention, risk assessment, and more.
National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) – Free online EH continuing education courses offered through NEHA [you will need to create an account to access courses]:
- Biology and Control of Insects and Rodents
- Performance Standards Workshop
- Recreational Water Illness and Aquatic Facility-Related Events Associated with Swimming Pool Chemicals
- What Really Happens at Aquatic Facilities Between Inspections?
- Biology and Control of Vectors and Public Health Pests: The Importance of Integrated Pest Management
- Implementing Water Safety Plans in the Caribbean and Latin America: A WHO Methodology for Managing Risk in Drinking Water Systems
- Improving Your Agency's Monitoring Capability Through the Use of the Environmental Public Health Performance Standards
Northwest Center for Public Health Practice – Online and CD-ROM courses, learning modules, and exercises to meet the training and development needs of the public health workforce:
- Essential Services of Environmental Health – Online training and CD-ROM integrating the 10 essential services of environmental health.
- Logic Models and Outcome Measurement – Online training module demonstrates how to measure the performance of your local health jurisdiction.
- Program Evaluation in Environmental Health – Interactive module to teach participants about program evaluation.
Public Health Foundation TRAIN – Free searchable database to help public health professionals find distance-learning opportunities.
- Page last reviewed: March 19, 2015
- Page last updated: June 2, 2015
- Content source: