Schedule and Programming
The duration of the internship is ten weeks, from Wednesday, June 11th – Friday, August 15th, 2014. Interns will be based in NCEH/ATSDR offices where they will engage in summer-long projects; they will also participate in trips and activities that expose them to the many facets of environmental health.
Week 1: Orientation
Orientation week includes security clearance, trainings and various introductions to the CDC and ATSDR at the Roybal and Chamblee campuses.
Week 2-8: Ongoing involvement in projects
- Weekly activities (journal club, brown bag lunches, field trips, etc.)
- Professional development/trainings
- Presentation on an environmental health topic
Week 9: Wrap up individual project work and prepare final presentation
Week 10: Final Presentations, Program Evaluations, Intern Graduation
- Final presentations
- Summer experience
- Summer projects
- Wrap-up lunch with interns and mentors
- Evaluation form, badge return, etc.
- Final writing requirement
- Shadowing of senior officials/scientists in NCEH/ATSDR
- Informal "Brown-Bag" lunches with CDC staff
- Environmental health field trips related to the week’s environmental health issue (Fridays)
- Interns will also have the opportunity to attend open CDC lectures/presentations
- Possibility of travel to meetings/conferences related to environmental health topics
- Professional mentors will be assigned to each summer intern