Step 4: Gather Credible Evidence
What to Measure for Social Marketing Programs?
Before we move on to Step 5, we'll spend some time talking about the specific
things you might measure in a social marketing program.
Monitoring the Program
First, monitoring is especially important in a social marketing program.
Monitoring is a type of process evaluation that keeps track of how the
intervention is being implemented and allows you to get audience/ participant
feedback to make adjustments in the intervention as needed. If you plan to
monitor your program, you must also be prepared to make changes mid-course
depending on what you find. You may want to monitor
- Program implementation: Is the program being implemented the way you
- Effectiveness of strategy and activities: Are they having the effect you
- Other possible changes: Are there any unintended consequences from your
program? Any unrelated activities?
- Feedback from both participants and implementers: What are the responses
to the program or intervention? Does anyone see any problems that need to be
- The program's reach: Are you reaching the people you intended to reach?