Why is Formative Research Important?
Formative research will enable you to
- Better understand your target audience and their needs and wants.
- Get useful information from the right people.
- Make decisions with an audience-focused mindset.
- Refine your social marketing plan to ensure success of your program.
Poorly conducted formative research can lead to either too much information
or the wrong kind of information, both of which hinder your ability to develop
an effective program.
The information you collect during the formative research phase should help
- Narrow and describe the target audience.
- Select a specific behavior for the audience to change.
- Identify the factors which influence the audience's behavior.
- Develop a preliminary marketing mix (product, price, place, and
promotion) for the intervention.