Training & Education - Family-based Detection
The family history may be used as a public health tool to identify individuals at risk for disease and thereby facilitate early diagnosis and treatment of those potentially affected.
In the absence of genetic testing, family history can be used as a tool to determine risk for common chronic diseases and thereby identify individuals with increased disease susceptibility.
Content in this module includes:
- Family history as a tool to identify family members at risk.
- Downloadable information for patients and their families.
- Usefulness and limitations of genetic testing.
- Basic genetic counseling.
- Page last reviewed: June 9, 2015
- Page last updated: June 9, 2015
- Content source: