Pierce County, Washington
Pierce County is the second most populous county in Washington State behind King County. Formed out of Thurston County on December 22, 1852, by the legislature of Oregon Territory, it was named for U.S. President Franklin Pierce. As of the 2010 Census, the population was 795,225. The county seat is Tacoma, which also is the county's largest city on Commencement Bay.
Pierce County has a total area of 1,807 square miles, of which 1,679 are land and 128 are water. The highest natural point in Washington is Mount Rainier at 14,410 feet.
Pierce County boasts a thriving arts and culture community. Arts organizations within Pierce County include: the Broadway Center for the Performing Arts, Museum of Glass, Tacoma Art Museum, Tacoma Opera, Tacoma Philharmonic, Tacoma Symphony, Washington State History Museum and others.
Pierce County Health Statistics
Pierce County, Washington, including the city of Tacoma, has 1,498 employers and an employee population of approximately 187,000.
Pierce County ranks 24th out of Washington’s 39 counties in health factors, according to the County Health Rankings. Health factors in the County Health Rankings are those that influence the health of a county, including health behavior and clinical care, as well as social, economic and physical environment factors.
The Tacoma—Pierce County Health Department is actively involved in worksite health programs as part of a statewide initiative. Pierce County’s tobacco-use rate and the percentage of residents categorized as obese are higher than the state and national averages. The number of individuals who are physically inactive is lower than the national average.
Pierce County Participating Employers
Total number of employers in Pierce County: 15
Total number of employees in Pierce County: 1,386
- Roman Meal Company, Tacoma, small, wholesale
- United Way of Pierce County, small, services
- Tacoma Community House, Tacoma, small, services
- Brown & Brown of Washington Inc., Tacoma Worksite, Tacoma, small, services
- Pierce County AIDS Foundation, Tacoma , small, services
- McConkey Company, Sumner, small, manufacturing
- Pediatrics Northwest, P.S. , Tacoma, small, services
- APA- The Engineered Wood Association, Tacoma, small, services
- Tacoma Housing Authority, Tacoma, mid-size, services
- Pacific Alaska Freightways, Inc., Fife, mid-size, transportation
- Metropolitan Development Council, Tacoma, mid-size, services
- Greater Lakes Mental Healthcare, Lakewood, mid-size, services
- Brown & Haley, Tacoma, mid-size, manufacturing
- Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department, Tacoma, large, public administration
- Tacoma Area Coalition of Individuals with Disabilities (TACID), Tacoma, small, services
Local and State Resources,