Marion County, Indiana
Marion County contains a rich diversity of people, business, arts, culture, architecture, educational institutions and attractions. Some famous names from the county include Jane Pauley, David Letterman, Kurt Vonnegut, as well as Benjamin Harrison, the 23rd U.S. president. Businesses throughout the county include agriculture, technology, and manufacturing. Marion County also contains some of the best health care and universities in the country, if not the world. The arts and cultural scene in the county is top notch, including the Eiteljorj Museum of American Indian and Western Art, the Indiana State Museum, the Indianapolis Symphony, and the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis (the largest children’s museum in the world). Diverse architecture from modern skyscrapers to covered bridges, and from the Soldiers and Sailors Monument to John McCormick’s cabin, demonstrate the urban and rural history of the county.
Marion County also provides residents and visitors alike with many activities. Spectators can enjoy a Colts, Pacers, or NCAA game (The National Collegiate Athletic Association National offices are located in Indianapolis.) or maybe attend the Indianapolis 500, the largest single-day sporting event in the world in Speedway, Indiana. Or you can take the active approach and enjoy a walk, bike ride, or play with your family in the 10,000 acres of parkland that includes White River State and Eagle Creek Park.
With such a rich history, diversity of arts and culture and many attractions, Marion County is a great place to live, work, play, and visit. We look forward to welcoming you.
Marion County Health Statistics
Marion County, which includes the city of Indianapolis, is an urban community with 34,435 employers and approximately 500,000 employees.
Marion County ranks 89th out of Indiana’s 92 counties in health factors, according to the County Health Rankings. Health factors in the County Health Rankings are those that influence the health of a county including health behavior and clinical care, as well as social, economic, and physical environment factors.
Marion County’s tobacco-use rate is higher than state and national averages, and 30 percent of Marion County residents are categorized as obese. The number of individuals who are physically inactive is close to the state average and higher than the national average.
Marion County Participating Employers
Total number of employers in Marion County: 13
Total number of employees in Marion County: 2,095
- ILab LLC, Indianapolis, small, services
- One Click Ventures, Greenwood, small, retail
- HC1.com (formerly Bostech Corp), Indianapolis, small, services
- The Broadbent Company, Inc., Indianapolis, small, finance, insurance & real estate
- H.J. Umbaugh & Associates CPA LLP, Indianapolis, small, finance, insurance & real estate
- Med Shield, Inc., Indianapolis, small, finance, insurance & real estate
- Ciproms Inc., Indianapolis, mid-size, finance, insurance & real estate
- TKO Graphics, Indianapolis, mid-size, manufacturing
- Bosma Industries for the Blind Inc. (Bosma Enterprises), Indianapolis, mid-size, manufacturing
- Day Nursery Association, Indianapolis, mid-size, services
- Buchanan Group Inc., Indianapolis, mid-size, services
- CICOA Aging & In-Home Solutions, Indianapolis, mid-size, services
- Indiana State Department of Health, Indianapolis, large, public administration
- Page last reviewed: December 5, 2014
- Page last updated: December 5, 2014
- Content source: