Harris County, Texas
Harris County also is home of the largest medical center in the world—the Texas Medical Center—which employs 93,500 people and has one of the highest densities of clinical facilities for patient care, basic science, and research.
In addition, Harris County is home to the Port of Houston, which is ranked number one in the nation in volume of foreign tonnage. The port also is the second-largest petrochemical complex in the world.
Houston/Harris County was selected as one of 2008's “100 Best Communities for Young People” by America’s Promise Alliance, the nation's largest collaborative partnership dedicated to improving the well-being of children and youth.
Harris County Health Statistics
Harris County, Texas, which includes the city of Houston, is an urban community and the most populated and diverse of the National Healthy Worksite communities, with 82,277 employers and more than 1.5 million employees.
Harris County ranks 154th out of Texas’ 233 counties in health factors, according to the County Health Rankings. Health factors in the County Health Rankings are those that influence the health of a county, including health behavior and clinical care, as well as social, economic and physical environment factors.
The Houston Business Coalition on Health (HBCH) offers training and networking opportunities for local employers. Harris County’s tobacco-use rate is higher than the state average, and 29% of Harris County residents are categorized as obese. The number of individuals who are physically inactive is higher than state and national averages.
Harris County Participating Employers
Total number of employers in Harris County: 13
Total number of employees in Harris County: 2,055
- The Mission of Yahweh, Inc., Houston, small, services
- DistribAire Inc, Houston, small, wholesale
- Brookstone LP, Houston, small, construction
- SSI Chusei, Inc, Pasedena, small, manufacturing
- YMCA of Greater Houston, small, services
- Salem Lutheran Church, Tomball, small, services
- Thompson + Hanson, Bellaire, mid-size, wholesale
- DePelchin Children's Center, Houston, mid-size, services
- Cypress Creek Emergency Medical Services, Spring, mid-size, services
- Tellepsen, Houston, mid-size, construction
- ROSEN USA, Inc., Houston, large, construction
- David Weekley Homes, Houston, large, construction
- Silver Eagle Distributors, L.P., Houston, large, retail
- Page last reviewed: April 14, 2014
- Page last updated: April 14, 2014
- Content source: