Mumps Outbreak Articles
For more information about the 2009-2010 outbreak, please refer to the following articles:
- Parker Fiebelkorn A, Lawler J, Curns AT, Brandeburg C, Wallace GS. Mumps Postexposure Prophylaxis with a Third Dose of Measles-Mumps-Rubella Vaccine, Orange County, New York, USA. Emerg Infect Dis 2013 Sep;19(9):1411-7.
- Nelson GE, Aguon A, Valencia E, Oliva R, Guerrero ML, Reyes R, et al. Epidemiology of a mumps outbreak in a highly vaccinated island population and use of a third dose of measles-mumps-rubella vaccine for outbreak control—Guam 2009 to 2010. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2013 Apr;32(4):374-80. DOI PubMed
- Rota JS, Rosen JB, Doll MK, McNall RJ, McGrew M, Williams N, Lopareva EN, Barskey AE, Punsalang A Jr, Rota PA, Oleszko WR, Hickman CJ, Zimmerman CM, Bellini WJ. Comparison of the sensitivity of laboratory diagnostic methods from a well-characterized outbreak of mumps in New York City in 2009. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2013 Mar;20(3):391-6. DOI PubMed
- Parker Fiebelkorn A, Rosen JB, Brown C, Zimmerman CM, Renshowitz H, D'Andrea C, et al. Environmental factors potentially associated with mumps transmission in yeshivas during a mumps outbreak among highly vaccinated students: Brooklyn, New York, 2009-2010. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2013 Jan;9(1):189-94. DOI PubMed
- Ogbuanu IU, Kutty PK, Hudson JM, Blog D, Abedi GR, Goodell S, et al. Impact of a third dose of measles-mumps-rubella vaccine on a mumps outbreak. Pediatrics. 2012 Dec;130(6):e1567-74. DOI PubMed
- Abedi GR, Mutuc JD, Lawler J, Leroy ZC, Hudson JM, Blog DS, et al. Adverse events following a third dose of measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine in a mumps outbreak. Vaccine. 2012 Nov 19;30(49):7052-8. DOI PubMed
- Barskey AE, Schulte C, Rosen JB, Handschur EF, Rausch-Phung E, Doll MK, et al. Mumps outbreak in Orthodox Jewish communities in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2012 Nov;367(18):1704-13. DOI PubMed
- Mahamud A, Fiebelkorn AP, Nelson G, Aguon A, McKenna J, Villarruel G, et al. Economic impact of the 2009-2010 Guam mumps outbreak on the public health sector and affected families. Vaccine. 2012 Oct 5;30(45):6444-8. DOI PubMed
- CDC. Update: Mumps outbreak - New York and New Jersey, June 2009-January 2010.
- CDC. Mumps outbreak - New York, New Jersey, Quebec, 2009.
For more information about the 2006 outbreak, please see the following articles:
- Mumps vaccination coverage and vaccine effectiveness in a large outbreak among college students—Iowa, 2006.
Vaccine Vol 26, No 29-30;3601-3607 July 04, 2008
- Mumps Vaccine Performance Among University Students During a Mumps Outbreak.
Clin Inf Dis 46: 1172–1180 04/15/2008
- Recent Resurgence of Mumps in the United States.
N Engl J Med 358: 1580–9 April 10, 2008
- Update: Mumps Activity — United States, January 1-October 7, 2006
MMWR Vol 55, No 14;283-291 October 27, 2006
- Update: Multistate Outbreak of Mumps — United States, January 1 - May 2, 2006
MMWR Vol 55 (Dispatch);1-5 May 18, 2006
- CDC Health Advisory—Multi-state Mumps Outbreak (April 14, 2006)
Health Alert Network (CDCHAN-00244-2006-04-15-UPD-N) April 15, 2006
- Exposure to Mumps During Air Travel — United States, April 2006
MMWR Vol 55, No 14;401-402 April 14, 2006
- Exposure to Mumps During Air Travel
MMWR Vol 55(Dispatch);1-2 April 11, 2006
- Mumps Epidemic-Iowa, 2006
MMWR Vol 55(Dispatch);1-3 April 7, 2006
- Dispatch—Mumps Epidemic-Iowa, 2006
MMWR Vol 55, No 13;366-368 March 30, 2006
Information on other mumps outbreaks can be found in the following articles:
- Mumps Resurgences in the United States: A Historical Perspective
Vaccine Vol 27, No 44;6186-95 October 19, 2009
- Mumps Outbreak at a Summer Camp—NY, 2005
MMWR Vol 55, No 07;175-177 February 24, 2006
- Mumps Epidemic-United Kingdom, 2004-2005
MMWR Vol 55, No 07;173-175 February 24, 2006
- Mumps Alert for Camps, Summer 2010[2 pages]
Note: This document is include for historical purposes and will not be reviewed or updated.
Images and logos on this website which are trademarked/copyrighted or used with permission of the trademark/copyright or logo holder are not in the public domain. These images and logos have been licensed for or used with permission in the materials provided on this website. The materials in the form presented on this website may be used without seeking further permission. Any other use of trademarked/copyrighted images or logos requires permission from the trademark/copyright holder...more
This graphic notice means that you are leaving an HHS Web site. For more information, please see the Exit Notification and Disclaimer policy.