Skip directly to search Skip directly to A to Z list Skip directly to navigation Skip directly to page options Skip directly to site content

Case Reporting

Clinical Questions & Answers on Mumps

Questions and Answers

Q: What information on cases do I need to collect?

A: Please see the Reporting Mumps page adopted from the VPD Surveillance Manual, Mumps Chapter, Reporting section, page 5.

Q: Where do I report a case?

A: Each state and territory has regulations or laws governing the reporting of diseases and conditions of public health importance. These regulations and laws list the diseases that are to be reported and describe those persons or groups responsible for reporting, such as health-care providers, hospitals, schools, laboratories, daycare and childcare facilities, and other institutions.

Contact your state health department for reporting requirements in your state.

Reporting to CDC

A provisional report of probable, and confirmed cases should be sent to the National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System by the state health department via the National Electronic Telecommunications System for Surveillance (NETSS) or National Electronic Disease Surveillance System (NEDSS). Reporting should not be delayed because of incomplete information or lack of confirmation; following completion of case investigations, data previously submitted to NETSS or NEDSS should be updated with the available new information.