State-Based Motor Vehicle Data & Information
Motor vehicle crashes are a leading cause of injury and death in the U.S., and because many proven prevention strategies occur on the state-level, it can be helpful to see things broken down by state.
On this page, find links to state-based data, MMWR and Vital Signs reports, and recommendations on a variety of topics, such as: child passenger safety, seat belts, impaired driving, teen drivers, and motorcycle safety.
- Buckle Up: Restraint Use State Fact Sheets (January 2015)
- Restraint Use and Motor Vehicle Occupant State Data (January 2015)
- Seat Belt Use US Map (January 2015)
- CDC Vital Signs: Adult Seat Belt Use (January 2011)
- Policy Impact: Seat Belts (January 2011)
- CDC MMWR: Impact of primary laws on adult use of safety belts --- United States, 2002 (April 2004)
- Increasing Alcohol Ignition Interlock Use: Successful Practices for States (May 2015)
- Sobering Facts: Drunk Driving State Fact Sheets (January 2015)
- Drunk Driving State Data (January 2015)
- Drunk Driving US Map (January 2015)
- Drunk Driving Death Rates US Map (January 2015)
- CDC Vital Signs: Teen Drinking and Driving - A Dangerous Mix (October 2012)
- CDC Vital Signs: Drinking and Driving - A Threat to Everyone (October 2011)
- Drinking and Driving
- CDC MMWR: Alcohol-impaired driving among adults---United States, 2010 (October 2011)
- Policy Impact: Impaired Driving (February 2011)
State Data Linkage Systems
CDC’s WISQARS™ (Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System) is an interactive, online database that provides fatal and nonfatal injury, violent death, and cost of injury data from a variety of trusted sources. Researchers, the media, public health professionals, and the public can use WISQARS™ data to learn more about the public health and economic burden associated with unintentional and violence-related injury in the United States.
Dozens of motor vehicle datasets, maps, and charts are available to download or to use on your web site at data.cdc.gov. Some state data and visualizations are also available divided up by HHS region. Visualizations for your web site feature real-time data, so when we update the data, your web site is automatically updated with the most current data.