For Immediate Release: February 17, 2011
Contact: CDC Online Newsroom
Media Availability About Dengue Research Conference
CDC, NIH and PAHO will host a telephone-only media briefing to discuss the latest developments in dengue virus research and the epidemiology of the disease in the Americas. The telebriefing, which is in connection with a Feb. 16-18 scientific meeting in San Juan, Puerto Rico on this topic, is an opportunity for media not attending the conference to learn the latest information on this emerging infectious disease and to ask questions of leading experts.
Conference topics span a broad spectrum of research areas including the biology and disease-causing mechanisms of dengue viruses and how they spread in communities, interact with mosquitoes, and affect the human immune system. Researchers also will present information about the most severe forms of the disease and progress being made in the development of diagnostic tests, treatments and vaccines.
- Harold Margolis, M.D., Director, Dengue Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., Director, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health
- Jose Luis San Martin, M.D., Regional Advisor on Dengue, Pan American Health Organization
Thursday, February 17, 2011 at 12:00pm ET (1:00pm Puerto Rico time)
Passcode: CDC Media
Important Instructions: If you would like to ask a question during the Q&A portion of the call, press *1 on your touchtone phone. Press *2 to withdraw your question. You may queue up at any time. You will hear a tone to indicate your question is pending.
LISTEN-ONLY AUDIO WEBCAST
This press briefing media will also be available via listen-only audio web site at http://www.videonewswire.com/event.asp?id=77012. We strongly encourage non-media participants to use the webcast.
A transcript of this media availability will be available following the briefing at the CDC web site at www.cdc.gov/media.
- Historical Document: February 17, 2011
- Content source: Office of the Associate Director for Communication, Division of News and Electronic Media
- Notice: Links to non-governmental sites do not necessarily represent the views of the CDC.
Get e-mail updates
To receive e-mail updates about this page, enter your
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC-INFO