This page is a historical archive and is no longer maintained.
For current information, please visit http://www.cdc.gov/media/
For Immediate Release: July 10, 1998
Contact: CDC Media Relations (404) 639-3286
Announcement of the New Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and Administrator of the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR)
1. CDC Director designee Dr. Jeffrey P. Koplan, Secretary Donna E. Shalala, and Dr. Claire V. Broome, Acting Director CDC and Acting Administrator, ATSDR.
2. The Koplan family with the Secretary (from left-to-right): Dr. Carol Koplan, Dr. Jeffrey Koplan, Secretary Shalala, Adam Koplan, and Kate Koplan.
3. Secretary Shalala addresses the audience.
4. Secretary Shalala and former CDC Director Dr. William Roper.
5. Former CDC Director David Sencer and The Honorable Andrew Young, former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations and CDC Foundation Board of Directors.
6. Dr. Broome addresses the audience.
7. Dr. Helene Gayle, Director, CDC National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention congratulates Dr. Koplan.
8. Dr. Audrey Manley, President, Spelman College, and former Acting Surgeon General greets Dr. Koplan.
9. Dr. Koplan shares a moment with (from left-to-right) Charles "Pete" McTier, President, Robert W. Woodruff Foundation; Kent "Oz" Nelson, retired Chair and CEO, United Parcel Service and CDC Foundation Board of Directors; Veronica Biggins, Partner, Heidrick & Struggles and CDC Foundation Board of Directors; Dr. Koplan; and Bernard Marcus, Chairman, Home Depot and CDC Foundation Board of Directors.
10. Dr. Koplan speaks with Dr. Jose Cordero (center), Deputy Director, CDC National Immunization Program, and Roy King, Director, CDC Human Resources Management Office.
11. Dr. Koplan receives well-wishes from Peter McCumiskey, Deputy Assistant Administrator, ATSDR.
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this site, enter your email address:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC-INFO