Linking Science & Action: Fifth Annual Meeting of the International Association of National Public Institutes (IANPHI)
For Immediate Release: October 28, 2010
Contact: CDC Media Relations
This event will not be available by telephone or webcast. Media who wish to attend must RSVP.*
- Jeffrey P. Koplan, MD, MPH, president of IANPHI
- Thomas R. Frieden, MD, MPH, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Kevin M. De Cock, MD, FRCP (UK), DTM&H, director of the CDC’s Center for Global Health
- Leaders from CDC and national public health institutes around the world, such as China, Brazil, Thailand, and Tanzania
Fifth Annual Meeting of the International Association of National Public Institutes (IANPHI) (first time hosted in U.S.)
Sunday, October 31 – Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Emory Conference Center Hotel
1615 Clifton Road
Atlanta, GA 30329
Top public health leaders from almost 50 countries will gather at the fifth annual meeting of the International Association of National Public Health Institutes (IANPHI). The meeting is jointly hosted in the United States for the first time by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and IANPHI, which is based in the Emory University Global Health Institute.
Sessions will include Disaster Preparedness and Response, Risk Factor Surveillance, Injuries, Immunization Policy, and Laboratory Systems. Several of the attendees and speakers represent countries currently in the midst of public health emergencies, including Haiti, Bangladesh, and Nigeria.
Story ideas include:
- Rise from the ashes: Rebuilding of the national public health institute in Guinea-Bissau
- How volunteers helped create a coordinated system of health laboratories in Mozambique
- How Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country, is reducing deaths from drug-resistant TB
- Mexico in the aftermath of the H1N1 influenza pandemic
- Noncommunicable diseases: newest global challenge threatens health and economies alike
Since IANPHI was launched in 2006 its membership has nearly doubled, and now represents more than 60 percent of the world’s population. Funded through Emory University by a grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, IANPHI is an international advocacy and professional organization for National Public Health Institute (NPHI) directors as well as a major investor in public health infrastructure projects in low-resource countries.
A meeting agenda is attached, as well as a list of participants. For more information about IANPHI, visit http://www.ianphi.org
- Historical Document: October 28, 2010
- Content source: Office of the Associate Director for Communication, Division of News and Electronic Media
- Notice: Links to non-governmental sites do not necessarily represent the views of the CDC.
Get e-mail updates
To receive e-mail updates about this page, enter your
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC-INFO