CDC estimates that approximately 1600 illnesses and 260 deaths due to listeriosis occur annually in the United States 1.
The average annual incidence in the United States was 0.29 cases per 100,000 population for 2009—2011 2.
Compared to 1996-1998, the incidence of listeriosis had declined by about 37% by 2001 3. On average from 1998-2008, 2.2 outbreaks per year were reported to CDC 4. The largest listeriosis outbreak in U.S. history occurred in 2011, when 147 illnesses, 33 deaths, and 1 miscarriage occurred among residents of 28 states; the outbreak was associated with consumption of cantaloupe from a single farm 5.
- Scallan E, Hoekstra RM, Angulo FJ, Tauxe RV, Widdowson MA, Roy SL, Jones JL, Griffin PM. Foodborne illness acquired in the United States--major pathogens. Emerging infectious diseases. 2011;17(1):7-15.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vital signs: listeria illnesses, deaths, and outbreaks - United States, 2009-2011. MMWR Morbidity and mortality weekly report. 2013;62(22):448-52.
- Voetsch AC, Angulo FJ, Jones TF, Moore MR, Nadon C, McCarthy P, Shiferaw B, Megginson MB, Hurd S, Anderson BJ, Cronquist A, Vugia DJ, Medus C, Segler S, Graves LM, Hoekstra RM, Griffin PM, Centers for Disease C, Prevention Emerging Infections Program Foodborne Diseases Active Surveillance Network Working G. Reduction in the incidence of invasive listeriosis in foodborne diseases active surveillance network sites, 1996-2003. Clinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. 2007;44(4):513-20.
- Cartwright EJ, Jackson KA, Johnson SD, Graves LM, Silk BJ, Mahon BE. Listeriosis outbreaks and associated food vehicles, United States, 1998-2008. Emerging infectious diseases. 2013;19(1):1-9; quiz 184.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Multistate outbreak of listeriosis associated with Jensen Farms cantaloupe--United States, August-September 2011. MMWR Morbidity and mortality weekly report. 2011;60(39):1357-8.