- Multistate Outbreak of Listeriosis Associated with Jensen Farms Cantaloupe — United States, August–September 2011
- Incidence and Trends of Infection with Pathogens Transmitted Commonly Through Food---Foodborne Diseases Active Surveillance Network, 10 U.S. Sites, 1996-2010
- Outbreak of Invasive Listeriosis Associated with Consumption of Hog Head Cheese --- Louisiana, 2010
- Preliminary FoodNet Data on the Incidence of Infection with Pathogens Transmitted Commonly Through Food --- 10 States, 2009
- Outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes Infections Associated with Pasteurized Milk from a Local Dairy --- Massachusetts, 2007
- Public Health Dispatch: Outbreak of Listeriosis --- Northeastern United States, 2002
- Outbreak of Listeriosis Associated With Homemade Mexican-Style Cheese --- North Carolina, October 2000--January 2001
- Menon M, Graves L, McCombs K, Hise K, Silk BJ, Kuehnert M, Lynch M. Listeria monocytogenes in donated platelets–a potential transfusion transmitted pathogen intercepted through screening. Transfusion 2013; [Epub ahead of print].
- Hoelzer K, Chen Y, Dennis S, Evans P, Pouillot R, Silk BJ, Walls I. New data, strategies, and insights for Listeria monocytogenes dose-response models: summary of an interagency workshop, 2011. Risk Analysis 2013; [Epub ahead of print].
- Gaul LK, Farag NH, Shim T, Kingsley MA, Silk BJ, Hyytia-Trees E. Hospital-acquired listeriosis outbreak caused by contaminated diced celery–Texas, 2010. Clin Infect Dis 2013 Jan;56(1):20-6.
- Cartwright EJ, Jackson KA, Johnson SD, Graves LM, Silk BJ, Mahon BE. Listeriosis outbreaks and associated food vehicles, United States, 1998–2008. Emerg Infect Dis [Internet] 2013 Jan.
- Laksanalamai P, Joseph LA, Silk BJ, Burall LS, L Tarr C, Gerner-Smidt P, Datta AR. Genomic Characterization of Listeria monocytogenes Strains Involved in a Multistate Listeriosis Outbreak Associated with Cantaloupe in US. PLoS One 2012;7(7):e42448. Epub 2012 Jul 31.
- Silk BJ, Date KA, Jackson KA, et al. Invasive Listeriosis in the Foodborne Diseases Active Surveillance Network (FoodNet), 2004–2009: Further Targeted Prevention Needed for Higher-Risk Groups. Clin Infect Dis 2012;54: S396–S404.
- Pouillot R, Hoelzer K, Jackson KA, Henao O, Silk BJ. Relative Risk of Listeriosis in Foodborne Diseases Active Surveillance Network (FoodNet) Sites According to Age, Pregnancy, and Ethnicity. Clin Infect Dis 2012; 54: S405–S410.
- Jackson KA, Biggerstaff M, Tobin-D'Angelo M, Sweat D, Klos R, Nosari J, Garrison O, Boothe E, Saathoff-Huber L, Hainstock L, Fagan RP. Multistate outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes associated with Mexican-style cheese made from pasteurized milk among pregnant, Hispanic women. J Food Prot 2011 Jun;74(6):949-53.
- Scallan E, Hoekstra RM, Angulo FJ, et al. Foodborne illness acquired in the United States-major pathogens. Emerg Infect Dis 2011 Jan;17(1):7-15.
- Jackson KA, Iwamoto M, Swerdlow D. Pregnancy-associated listeriosis. Epidemiol Infect 2010 Oct;138(10):1503-9.
- Painter J, Slutsker L. Listeriosis in Humans. In: Ryser ET ME, ed. Listeria, Listeriosis, and Food Safety 3rd ed. Boca Raton, FL: Taylor and Francis Group, 2007:85-110.
- Swaminathan B, Gerner-Smidt P. The Epidemiology of Human Listeriosis. Microbes Infect. 2007;9(10):1236-43.
- Voetsch AC, Angulo FJ, Jones FJ, Moore MR, Nadon C, McCarthy P, Shiferaw B, Megginson MB, Hurd S, Anderson BJ, Cronquist A, Vugia DJ, Medus C, Segler S, Graves LM, Hoekstra RM, Griffin PM, for the CDC EIP FoodNet Working Group. Reduction in the Incidence of Invasive Listeriosis in Foodborne Diseases Active Surveillance Network Sites, 1996-2003. Clin Infect Dis 2007;44:513-20.
- Varma JK, Samuel MC, Marcus R, et al. Listeria monocytogenes infection from foods prepared in a commercial establishment: a case-control study of potential sources of sporadic illness in the United States. Clin Infect Dis 2007;44:521–8.
- Gottleib SL, Newbern EC, Griffin PM, et al. Multistate Outbreak of Listeriosis Linked to Turkey Deli Meat and Subsequent Changes in US Regulatory Policy. Clin Infect Dis 2006;42:29-36.
- Mead PS, Dunne EF, Graves LM, Wiedmann M, Patrick M, Hunter S, Salehi E, Mostashari F, Craig A, Mshar P, Bannerman T, Sauders BD, Hayes P, DeWitt W, Sparling P, Griffin P, Morse D, Slutsker L, Swaminathan B, for the Listeria Outbreak Working Group. Nationwide outbreak of listeriosis due to contaminated meat. Epidemiol Infect 2006;134:744-51.
- Olsen SJ, Patrick M, Hunter SB, et al. Multistate outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes infection linked to delicatessen turkey meat. Clin Infect Dis 2005 Apr 1;40(7):962-7.
CDC Surveillance Reports
- Listeria Initiative Surveillance Overview [PDF - 2 pages]
- Listeriosis Surveillance
Resources for Clinicians
Spotlight on Invasive Listeriosis After the 2011 Outbreak
February 27, 2012
Dr. Benjamin Silk presents key information on listeriosis in the aftermath of the large 2011 outbreak.
Resources for People at Risk
- Pregnant or older? Be Safe with ready-to-eat meats [PDF - 1 page]
- Protect Your Unborn Baby or Newborn from Infections
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Listeriosis (general information) (Spanish)
- Listeriosis (Listeria) and Pregnancy
- CDC 24-7: Deadly Listeria Outbreak Halted in Record Time
- Food Safety at CDC
- Food Safety and Raw Milk
- Estimates of Foodborne Illness in the United States
Food and Drug Administration
- Keep Listeria Out of Your Kitchen
- While You’re Pregnant – Listeria (Spanish)
- Foodborne Pathogenic Microorganisms and Natural Toxins Handbook Listeria monocytogenes (general information)
- Preventing Listeriosis in Pregnant Hispanic Women in the U.S.: Community Educator's Guide to a Serious Foodborne Risk
- Food Safety for Moms-To-Be
- To Your Health! Food Safety for Seniors
- Eating Defensively: Food Safety Advice for Persons with AIDS
- Special Handling for Ready-to-Eat, Refrigerated Foods: Reducing the Risks of Foodborne Listeria
- The Dangers of Raw Milk: Unpasteurized Milk Can Pose a Serious Health Risk
Food Safety and Inspection Service (USDA)
- AskKaren.gov (FSIS virtual representative)
- FSIS At-Risk Populations Fact Sheets
- Protect Your Baby and Yourself From Listeriosis
- Proteja a su bebé y protéjase usted de la Listeriosis (Spanish) [PDF - 1 page]
- Checklist of Foods to Avoid During Pregnancy
- Food Safety for Pregnant Women [PDF - 26 pages]
- Food Safety for Older Adults [PDF - 24 pages]
- Food Safety for People with Cancer [PDF - 24 pages]
- Food Safety for People with Diabetes [PDF - 24 pages]
- Food Safety for People with HIV/AIDS [PDF - 24 pages]
- Food Safety for Transplant Recipients [PDF - 24 pages]
- In Their Own Words: Discussions with At-Risk Patients and Their Caregivers (Video)