Several important articles on the ongoing burden and prospects for prevention of chronic diseases lead off this week's Science Clips features. P Jha and colleagues, writing in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), document that smokers lose on average one decade of life expectancy. However at the state level, an analysis first authored by MC Farrelly shows that both smoke-free laws and state tobacco control funding are associated with reduced youth smoking. A meta-analysis led by TJ Brady and published in the CDC journal Preventing Chronic Disease finds some evidence of enduring individual benefit from Chronic Disease Self-Management.
The past, present, and future of influenza occupies a prominent role in this week's Clips. A group led by EIS alumnus SG Agolory surveyed New York City schools on the use of non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPI) during the 2009-2010 H1N1 pandemic, finding that response teams and preparedness plans facilitated the school-level implementation of NPI. Current influenza prevention and treatment strategies and prospects for further enhancements are summarized by Bresee and Haden in a timely commentary in NEJM.
Understanding transmission and enhancing prevention of hepatitis B and C are ongoing public health priorities. The investigation by KB Enfield et al, which combines a retrospective cohort study with DNA sequencing, finds evidence of transmission of hepatitis B from a surgeon to two patients. The analysis by K Carney and colleagues finds evidence that receipt of tattoos may be an independent risk factor for acquiring hepatitis C. Looking at another high-risk group, Schillie, Spradling, and Murphy find in a systematic review that children and young adults with diabetes respond well to immunization against hepatitis B.
Our features conclude this week with two forward looking articles of different types. A group of CDC laboratorians led by CY Kato has developed two new, highly sensitive real-time PCR assays for the detection of Rickettsia spp. Finally, three years after the Haiti earthquake, a CDC-authored Comment in the Lancet notes reasons for "cautious optimism" about the big picture future of public health in Haiti.
Editor, Science Clips
Selected weekly by a senior CDC scientist from the standard sections listed below.
- Association of tattooing and hepatitis C virus infection: a multicenter case-control study
Carney K, Dhalla S, Aytaman A, Tenner CT, Francois F.
Hepatology. 2013 Jan 12.
- Epidemic influenza - responding to the expected but unpredictable
Bresee J, Hayden FG.
N Engl J Med. 2013 Jan 23.
- Implementation of non-pharmaceutical interventions by New York City public schools to prevent 2009 influenza A
Agolory SG, Barbot O, Averhoff F, Weiss D, Wilson E, Egger J, Miller J, Ogbuanu I, Walton S, Kahn E.
PLoS One. 2013 ;8(1):e50916.
The names of CDC authors are indicated in bold text.
Articles published in the past 6-8 weeks authored by CDC or ATSDR staff.
- Obesity and other modifiable factors for physical inactivity measured by accelerometer in adults with knee osteoarthritis
Lee J, Song J, Hootman JM, Semanik PA, Chang RW, Sharma L, van Horn L, Bathon JM, Eaton CB, Hochberg MC, Jackson R, Kwoh CK, Mysiw WJ, Nevitt M, Dunlop DD.
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2013 Jan;65(1):53-61.
- Antiretroviral prophylaxis for sexual and injection drug use acquisition of HIV
Campbell JD, Herbst JH, Koppenhaver RT, Smith DK.
Am J Prev Med. 2013 Jan;44(1 Suppl 2):S63-9.
- Persistence of the 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) virus (pH1N1) on N95 respirators
Coulliette AD, Perry KA, Edwards J, Noble-Wang J.
Appl Environ Microbiol. 2013 Jan 18.
- Decentralization of pediatric HIV care and treatment in five sub-Saharan African countries
Fayorsey RN, Saito S, Carter RJ, Gusmao E, Frederix K, Koech-Keter E, Tene G, Panya M, Abrams EJ.
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2013 Jan 18.
- Routine HIV testing among providers of HIV care in the United States, 2009
McNaghten AD, Valverde EE, Blair JM, Johnson CH, Freedman MS, Sullivan PS.
PLoS One. 2013 ;8(1):e51231.
- Bioterrorism and biological threats dominate federal health security research; other priorities get scant attention
Shelton SR, Connor K, Uscher-Pines L, Pillemer FM, Mullikin JM, Kellermann AL.
Health Aff (Millwood). 2012 Dec;31(12):2755-63.
- Hepatitis B screening in US travelers seen at the Boston Area Travel Medicine Network
Chen LH, Barnett ED, Wilson ME, Macleod W, Yanni EA, Ooi W, Karchmer AW, Kogelman L, Marano N, Hamer DH.
J Travel Med. 2013 Jan;20(1):29-36.
- HIV and STI control in El Salvador: results from an integrated behavioural survey among men who have sex with men
Creswell J, Guardado ME, Lee J, Nieto AI, Kim AA, Monterroso E, Paz-Bailey G.
Sex Transm Infect. 2012 Dec;88(8):633-8.
- Advances in bridging research and practice: introduction to the second special issue on the Interactive System Framework for Dissemination and Implementation
Flaspohler P, Lesesne CA, Puddy RW, Smith E, Wandersman A.
Am J Community Psychol. 2012 Dec;50(3-4):271-81.
- Developing a prevention synthesis and translation system to promote science-based approaches to teen pregnancy, HIV and STI prevention
Lewis KM, Lesesne CA, Zahniser SC, Wilson MM, Desiderio G, Wandersman A, Green DC.
Am J Community Psychol. 2012 Dec;50(3-4):553-71.
- Designing for diffusion of a biomedical intervention
Dearing JW, Smith DK, Larson RS, Estabrooks CA.
Am J Prev Med. 2013 Jan;44(1 Suppl 2):S70-6.
- Plumbing of hospital premises is a reservoir for opportunistically pathogenic microorganisms: a review
Williams MM, Armbruster CR, Arduino MJ.
Biofouling. 2013 Feb;29(2):147-62.
- A randomized trial of one versus two doses of influenza vaccine after allogeneic transplantation
Karras NA, Weeres M, Sessions W, Xu X, Defor T, Young JA, Stefanski H, Brunstein C, Cooley S, Miller JS, Blazar BR, Wagner JE, Verneris MR.
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2013 Jan;19(1):109-16.
- Clinical assessment of serious adverse events in children receiving 2009 H1N1 vaccination
Pahud BA, Williams SE, Dekker CL, Halsey N, Larussa P, Baxter RP, Klein NP, Marchant CD, Sparks RC, Jakob K, Aukes L, Swope S, Barnett E, Lewis P, Berger M, Dreskin SC, Donofrio PD, Sejvar JJ, Slade BA, Gidudu J, Vellozzi C, Edwards KM.
Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2013 Feb;32(2):163-168.
- Behind the blue shadow: a theoretical perspective for detecting police suicide
Violanti JM, Mnatsakanova A, Andrew ME.
Int J Emerg Ment Health. 2012 ;14(1):37-40.
- Dog bite injuries among American Indian and Alaska Native children
Bjork A, Holman RC, Callinan LS, Hennessy TW, Cheek JE, McQuiston JH.
J Pediatr. 2013 Jan 15.
- News from the CDC: making evaluation findings actionable for suicide prevention practice
Wilkins N, Thigpen S.
Transl Behav Med. 2012 ;2(4):376-377.
- Improved detection of botulinum neurotoxin serotype A by Endopep-MS through peptide substrate modification
Wang D, Baudys J, Ye Y, Rees JC, Barr JR, Pirkle JL, Kalb SR.
Anal Biochem. 2013 Jan 15;432(2):115-23.
- Determination of airborne wood dust in Button samples by diffuse reflectance infrared Fourier transform spectroscopy (DRIFTS)
Kwon C, Chirila M, Lee T, Harper M, Rando RJ.
Int J Environ Anal Chem. 2013 .
- Predictors for a positive QuantiFERON-TB-Gold test in BCG-vaccinated adults with a positive tuberculin skin test
Chawla H, Lobato MN, Sosa LE, Zuwallack R.
J Infect Public Health. 2012 Dec;5(6):369-73.
- Closed-face filter cassette (CFC) sampling - guidance on procedures for inclusion of material adhering to internal sampler surfaces
Ashley K, Harper M.
J Occup Environ Hyg. 2013 Mar;10(3):D29-33.
- Longitudinal decline in lung function in former asbestos exposed workers
Algranti E, Mendonca EM, Hnizdo E, De Capitani EM, Freitas JB, Raile V, Bussacos MA.
Occup Environ Med. 2013 Jan;70(1):15-21.
- Predictors of personal flotation device (PFD) use among workers in the Alaska commercial fishing industry
Lucas DL, Lincoln JM, Carozza SE, Bovbjerg VE, Kincl LD, Teske TD, Somervell PD, Anderson PJ.
Saf Sci. 2013 March;53:177-185.
- Oxidative stress in malaria
Percario S, Moreira DR, Gomes BA, Ferreira ME, Goncalves AC, Laurindo PS, Vilhena TC, Dolabela MF, Green MD.
Int J Mol Sci. 2012 ;13(12):16346-72.
- Walking associated with public transit: moving toward increased physical activity in the United States
Freeland AL, Banerjee SN, Dannenberg AL, Wendel AM.
Am J Public Health. 2013 Jan 17.
- NCHS Dataline
Public Health Rep. 2013 Jan;128(1):67-9.
- Reproductive patterns among mothers of males diagnosed with Duchenne or Becker muscular dystrophy
Nabukera SK, Romitti PA, Caspers KM, Street N, Cunniff C, Mathews KD, Fox DJ, Puzhankara S, Ciafaloni E, James KA, Su Y.
Am J Med Genet A. 2013 Jan;161(1):70-75.
- Stress, mental health, and burnout in national humanitarian aid workers in Gulu, northern Uganda
Ager A, Pasha E, Yu G, Duke T, Eriksson C, Cardozo BL.
J Trauma Stress. 2012 Dec;25(6):713-20.
- Parental and peer factors associated with body image discrepancy among fifth-grade boys and girls
Michael SL, Wentzel K, Elliott MN, Dittus PJ, Kanouse DE, Wallander JL, Pasch KE, Franzini L, Taylor WC, Qureshi T, Franklin FA, Schuster MA.
J Youth Adolesc. 2013 Jan 19.
Subject matter experts decide what topic to feature, and articles are selected from the last 3 to 6 months of published literature. Key topic coincides monthly with other CDC products (e.g. Vital Signs).
- Repeated exposure to media messages encouraging parent-child communication about sex: differential trajectories for mothers and fathers
Blitstein JL, Evans WD, Davis KC, Kamyab K.
Am J Health Promot. 2012 Sep-Oct;27(1):43-51.
- Social media-delivered sexual health intervention: a cluster randomized controlled trial
Bull SS, Levine DK, Black SR, Schmiege SJ, Santelli J.
Am J Prev Med. 2012 Nov;43(5):467-74.
- Promotion of smoking cessation with emotional and/or graphic antismoking advertising
Farrelly MC, Duke JC, Davis KC, Nonnemaker JM, Kamyab K, Willett JG, Juster HR.
Am J Prev Med. 2012 Nov;43(5):475-82.
- Formative process evaluation for implementing a social marketing intervention to increase walking among African Americans in the Positive Action for Today's Health trial
Coulon SM, Wilson DK, Griffin S, St George SM, Alia KA, Trumpeter NN, Wandersman AK, et al.
Am J Public Health. 2012 Dec;102(12):2315-21.
- Contribution of communication inequalities to disparities in human papillomavirus vaccine awareness and knowledge
Kontos EZ, Emmons KM, Puleo E, Viswanath K.
Am J Public Health. 2012 Oct;102(10):1911-20.
- Talking about alcohol consumption: health campaigns, conversational valence, and binge drinking intentions
Hendriks H, de Bruijn GJ, van den Putte B.
Br J Health Psychol. 2012 Nov;17(4):843-53.
- Boomerang effects in science communication: how motivated reasoning and identity cues amplify opinion polarization about climate mitigation policies
Hart P, Nisbet E.
Commun Res. 2012 ;39(6):701-723.
- Interventions using new digital media to improve adolescent sexual health: a systematic review
Guse K, Levine D, Martins S, Lira A, Gaarde J, Westmorland W, Gilliam M.
J Adolesc Health. 2012 Dec;51(6):535-43.
- Use a rabbit or a rhino to sell a carrot? The effect of character-product congruence on children's liking of healthy foods
de Droog SM, Buijzen M, Valkenburg PM.
J Health Commun. 2012 ;17(9):1068-80.
- Risky business: risk information and the moderating effect of message frame and past behaviour on women's perceptions of the Human Papillomavirus vaccine
Gainforth HL, Latimer AE.
J Health Psychol. 2012 Sep;17(6):896-905; quiz 905-6.
- Misinformation and its correction: continued influence and successful debiasing
Lewandowsky S, Ecker UK, Seifert CM, Schwarz N, Cook J.
Psychol Sci Public Interest. 2012 Dec ;13(3):106-131.
- Intention to comply with crisis messages communicated via social media
Public Relat Rev. 2012 ;38(3):416-421.
Articles about important public health topics that have been mentioned in the press.
- Infant meningococcal vaccination: Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommendations and rationale
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013 Jan 25;62(03):52-4.
- Notes from the field: emergence of new norovirus strain GII.4 Sydney - United States, 2012
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013 Jan 25;62(03):55.
- Recent trends in childhood attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder
Getahun D, Jacobsen SJ, Fassett MJ, Chen W, Demissie K, Rhoads GG.
JAMA Pediatr. 2013 Jan 21:1-7.
- Hospital admissions for childhood asthma after smoke-free legislation in England
Millett C, Lee JT, Laverty AA, Glantz SA, Majeed A.
Pediatrics. 2013 Jan 21.