Our featured article essay returns for 2013, leading off with two articles focusing on tropical diseases. J Sejvar and colleagues provide a detailed case series description of nodding syndrome, a form of epidemic epilepsy of as yet unknown etiology. A review of fifteen years of data from the GeoSentinel system led by M Jensenius finds that out of more than 3,500 cases of life-threatening travel-acquired illnesses, the vast majority were due to either falciparum malaria or enteric (typhoid) fever.
Travelers are not the only "special population" of interest to the public health community. A nationwide analysis conducted in Norway of influenza vaccination of pregnant women during the 2009-2010 H1N1 pandemic, authored by SE Haberg et al, shows that vaccination reduced the risk of maternal influenza and may have reduced the risk of influenza-associated fetal death. A cohort study conducted in Botswana by T Sibanda and collaborators documents high tuberculosis cure and treatment completion rates in HIV-positive adults who had received preventive therapy with isoniazid.
Turning to food and nutrition issues, Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance system data analyzed by KA Grimm and colleagues from CDC's Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity indicates that survey respondents of lower socioeconomic status were less likely to consume fruits at least two times daily or vegetables at least three times daily. The authors discuss potential consumer and environment oriented interventions. Modeled data published by HC Hamner et al from CDC's National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities indicated that fortification of corn masa flour with folic acid would not increase the small proportion of the population (~ 2.5%) with folic acid intake higher than the "tolerable upper intake level".
One of our New Years' resolutions for Science Clips is to more prominently feature the outstanding work of public health laboratory scientists. As part of a series of featured articles in Antiviral Therapy, a group led by LM Ganova-Raeva summarizes the multiple uses of mass spectrometry for molecular surveillance of hepatitis B and C infections. JS Rota, working with CDC and New York City Department of health co-investigators, compares the sensitivity of different mumps laboratory diagnostic methods using outbreak-associated samples.
January often brings summaries of important data from the prior year, as well as reminders of basic methods underlying public health research and surveillance. The former is exemplified by the American Cancer Society's 2013 statistical summary, which indicates the continued decline of death rates for lung, breast, colorectal and prostate cancers. The latter includes the contribution by RL Sinkowitz-Cochran, who provides a useful summary of survey research principles and practical considerations.
Editor, Science Clips
Selected weekly by a senior CDC scientist from the standard sections listed below.
- Cancer statistics, 2013
Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A.
CA Cancer J Clin. 2013 .
- Clinical, neurological, and electrophysiological features of nodding syndrome in Kitgum, Uganda: an observational case series
Sejvar JJ, Kakooza AM, Foltz JL, Makumbi I, Atai-Omoruto AD, Malimbo M, Ndyomugyenyi R, Alexander LN, Abang B, Downing RG, Ehrenberg A, Guilliams K, Helmers S, Melstrom P, Olara D, Perlman S, Ratto J, Trevathan E, Winkler AS, Dowell SF, Lwamafa D.
Lancet Neurol. 2013 Jan 7.
- Acute and potentially life-threatening tropical diseases in western travelers--a GeoSentinel multicenter study, 1996-2011
Jensenius M, Han PV, Schlagenhauf P, Schwartz E, Parola P, Castelli F, von Sonnenburg F, Loutan L, Leder K, Freedman DO.
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2013 Jan 16.
- Anti-tuberculosis treatment outcomes in HIV-infected adults exposed to isoniazid preventive therapy in Botswana
Sibanda T, Tedla Z, Nyirenda S, Agizew T, Marape M, Miranda AG, Reuter H, Johnson JL, Samandari T.
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2013 Feb;17(2):178-85.
- Risk of fetal death after pandemic influenza virus infection or vaccination
Haberg SE, Trogstad L, Gunnes N, Wilcox AJ, Gjessing HK, Samuelsen SO, Skrondal A, Cappelen I, Engeland A, Aavitsland P, Madsen S, Buajordet I, Furu K, Nafstad P, Vollset SE, Feiring B, Nokleby H, Magnus P, Stoltenberg C.
N Engl J Med. 2013 Jan 16.
- Application of mass spectrometry to molecular surveillance of hepatitis B and C viral infections
Ganova-Raeva LM, Dimitrova ZE, Campo DS, Khudyakov Y.
Antivir Ther. 2012 ;17(7 Pt B):1477-82.
- Comparison of the sensitivity of laboratory diagnostic methods from a well-characterized outbreak of mumps in New York City, 2009
Rota JS, Rosen JB, Doll MK, McNall RJ, McGrew M, Williams N, Lopareva EN, Barskey AE, Punsalang A, Rota PA, Oleszko WR, Hickman CJ, Zimmerman CM, Bellini WJ.
Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2013 Jan 16.
The names of CDC authors are indicated in bold text.
Articles published in the past 6-8 weeks authored by CDC or ATSDR staff.
- Glucose control predicts 2-year change in lipid profile in youth with type 1 diabetes
Maahs DM, Dabelea D, D'Agostino RB, Andrews JS, Shah AS, Crimmins N, Mayer-Davis EJ, Marcovina S, Imperatore G, Wadwa RP, Daniels SR, Reynolds K, Hamman RF, Dolan LM.
J Pediatr. 2013 Jan;162(1):101-107 e1.
- Testing for HCV: the first step in preventing disease transmission and improving health outcomes for HCV-infected individuals
Antivir Ther. 2012 ;17(7 Pt B):1397-401.
- The role of co-infections in mother-to-child transmission of HIV
King CC, Ellington SR, Kourtis AP.
Curr HIV Res. 2012 Dec 14.
- The effect of Helicobacter pylori infection on iron stores and iron deficiency in urban Alaska Native adults
Miernyk K, Bruden D, Zanis C, McMahon B, Sacco F, Hennessy T, Parkinson A, Bruce M.
Helicobacter. 2013 Jan 15.
- Screening and treating Chlamydia trachomatis genital infection to prevent pelvic inflammatory disease: interpretation of findings from randomized controlled trials
Gottlieb SL, Xu F, Brunham RC.
Sex Transm Dis. 2013 Feb;40(2):97-102.
- A trich-y question: should Trichomonas vaginalis infection be reportable?
Hoots BE, Peterman TA, Torrone EA, Weinstock H, Meites E, Bolan GA.
Sex Transm Dis. 2013 Feb;40(2):113-6.
- Sexually transmitted infections among HIV-infected adults in HIV care programs in Kenya: a national sample of HIV clinics
Singa B, Glick SN, Bock N, Walson J, Chaba L, Odek J, McClelland RS, Djomand G, Gao H, John-Stewart G.
Sex Transm Dis. 2013 Feb;40(2):148-53.
- The role of toxicologists and poison centers during and after a nuclear power plant emergency
Kazzi ZN, Miller CW.
Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2013 Jan;51(1):1-2.
- A prevalent alpha-proteobacterium Paracoccus sp. in a population of the Cayenne ticks (Amblyomma cajennense) from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Machado-Ferreira E, Piesman J, Zeidner NS, Soares CA.
Genet Mol Biol. 2012 Dec;35(4):862-7.
- Association between movement and Sin Nombre virus (Bunyaviridae: Hantavirus) infection in North American deermice (Peromyscus maniculatus) in Colorado
Amman BR, Manangan AP, Flietstra TD, Calisher CH, Carroll DS, Wagoner KD, Mills JN.
J Wildl Dis. 2013 Jan;49(1):132-42.
- "Drivers" of translational cancer epidemiology in the 21st century: needs and opportunities
Lam TK, Spitz M, Schully SD, Khoury MJ.
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2013 Jan 15.
- European guidelines for quality assurance in colorectal cancer screening and diagnosis: overview and introduction to the full Supplement publication
European Colorectal Cancer Screening Guidelines Working Group.
Endoscopy. 2013 Jan;45(1):51-59.
- Completeness and concordance of TB and HIV surveillance systems for TB-HIV co-infected patients in South Africa
Auld SC, Kim L, Webb EK, Podewils LJ, Uys M.
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2013 Feb;17(2):186-91.
- Epidemiologic characteristics of an ongoing syphilis epidemic among men who have sex with men, San Francisco
Bernstein KT, Stephens SC, Strona FV, Kohn RP, Philip SS.
Sex Transm Dis. 2013 Jan;40(1):11-7.
- Molecular surveillance of hepatitis C
Antivir Ther. 2012 ;17(7 Pt B):1465-70.
- Epistatic connectivity among HCV genomic sites as a genetic marker of interferon resistance
Lara J, Khudyakov Y.
Antivir Ther. 2012 ;17(7 Pt B):1471-5.
- Health care use and opportunities for human papillomavirus vaccination among young men who have sex with men
Meites E, Krishna NK, Markowitz LE, Oster AM.
Sex Transm Dis. 2013 Feb;40(2):154-7.
- Randomized controlled trial on the effectiveness of counseling messages for avoiding unprotected sexual intercourse during sexually transmitted infection and reproductive tract infection treatment among female sexually transmitted infection clinic patients
Anderson C, Gallo MF, Hylton-Kong T, Steiner MJ, Hobbs MM, Macaluso M, Figueroa JP, Jamieson DJ, Legardy-Williams J, Wiener J, Warner L.
Sex Transm Dis. 2013 Feb;40(2):105-110.
- Uptake of oral rotavirus vaccine and timeliness of routine immunization in Brazil's national immunization program
Flannery B, Samad S, de Moraes JC, Tate JE, Danovaro-Holliday MC, de Oliveira LH, Rainey JJ.
Vaccine. 2013 Jan 10.
- Association of physical trauma with risk of herpes zoster among Medicare beneficiaries in United States
Zhang JX, Joesoef RM, Bialek S, Wang C, Harpaz R.
J Infect Dis. 2013 Jan 10.
- Antibody- and genome-based identification of recent HCV infection
Antivir Ther. 2012 ;17(7 Pt B):1459-64.
- Rapid diagnostic HCV antibody assays
Smith BD, Jewett A, Drobeniuc J, Kamili S.
Antivir Ther. 2012 ;17(7 Pt B):1409-13.
- Changing strategies for hepatitis C testing
Antivir Ther. 2012 ;17(7 Pt B):1391-5.
- Using major outer membrane protein typing as an epidemiological tool to investigate outbreaks caused by milk-borne Campylobacter jejuni isolates in California
Jay-Russell MT, Mandrell RE, Yuan J, Bates A, Manalac R, Mohle-Boetani J, Kimura A, Lidgard J, Miller WG.
J Clin Microbiol. 2013 Jan;51(1):195-201.
- Quantitative real-time PCR assay panel for detection and type-specific identification of the epidemic respiratory human adenoviruses
Lu X, Trujillo-Lopez E, Lott L, Erdman DD.
J Clin Microbiol. 2013 Jan 16.
- A multi-center ring trial of allergen analysis using fluorescent multiplex array technology
King EM, Filep S, Smith B, Platts-Mills T, Hamilton RG, Schmechel D, Sordillo JE, Milton D, van Ree R, Krop EJ, Heederik DJ, Metwali N, Thorne PS, Zeldin DC, Sever ML, Calatroni A, Arbes SJ, Mitchell HE, Chapman MD.
J Immunol Methods. 2013 Jan 31;387(1-2):89-95.
- Evaluation of the lymphocyte trafficking drug FTY720 in vaginal tissues
Tsuiki A, Luo W, Henning T, Vishwanathan S, Dinh C, Adams D, Sweeney E, Mitchell J, Bachman S, Sharma P, Powell N, Hendry M, McNicholl J, Kersh E.
J Med Primatol. 2013 Jan 12.
- Association between immunoglobulin GM and KM genotypes and placental malaria in HIV-1 negative and positive women in western Kenya
Iriemenam NC, Pandey JP, Williamson J, Blackstock AJ, Yesupriya A, Namboodiri AM, Rocca KM, van Eijk AM, Ayisi J, Oteino J, Lal RB, Ter Kuile FO, Steketee R, Nahlen B, Slutsker L, Shi YP.
PLoS One. 2013 ;8(1):e53948.
- Intervillous macrophage migration inhibitory factor is associated with adverse birth outcomes in a study population in central India
Singh PP, Lucchi NW, Blackstock A, Udhayakumar V, Singh N.
PLoS One. 2012 ;7(12):e51678.
- New data, strategies, and insights for Listeria monocytogenes dose-response models: summary of an interagency workshop, 2011
Hoelzer K, Chen Y, Dennis S, Evans P, Pouillot R, Silk BJ, Walls I.
Risk Anal. 2013 Jan 11.
- Inactivation of Plasmodium spp. in plasma and platelet concentrates using riboflavin and ultraviolet light
Keil SD, Kiser P, Sullivan JJ, Kong AS, Reddy HL, Avery A, Goodrich RP.
Transfusion. 2013 Jan 16.
- Sickle cell disease in pregnancy: maternal complications in a Medicaid-enrolled population
Boulet SL, Okoroh EM, Azonobi I, Grant A, Hooper WC.
Matern Child Health J. 2013 Jan 12.
- Recommendations for biomonitoring of emergency responders: focus on occupational health investigations and occupational health research
Decker JA, DeBord DG, Bernard B, Dotson GS, Halpin J, Hines CJ, Kiefer M, Myers K, Page E, Schulte P, Snawder J.
Mil Med. 2013 ;178(1):68-75.
- Mortality and ionising radiation exposures among workers employed at the Fernald Feed Materials Production Center (1951-1985)
Silver SR, Bertke SJ, Hein MJ, Daniels RD, Fleming DA, Anderson JL, Pinney SM, Hornung RW, Tseng CY.
Occup Environ Med. 2013 Jan 15.
- Service coordination and children's functioning in a school-based Intensive Mental Health Program
Puddy RW, Roberts MC, Vernberg EM, Hambrick EP.
J Child Fam Stud. 2012 Dec;21(6):948-962.
- With graduation in sight: perceptions of high- and low-aggression students of the journey to high school completion
Ehrenreich H, Reeves PM, Corley S, Orpinas P.
Sch Psychol Q. 2012 Dec;27(4):198-209.
- Tobacco use patterns
McAfee TA, Kruger J.
J Environ Public Health. 2012 ;2012:564390.
- Presence and persistence of Coxiella burnetii in the environment of goat farms associated with a Q fever outbreak
Kersh GJ, Fitzpatrick KA, Self JS, Priestley RA, Kelly AJ, Lash RR, Marsden-Haug N, Nett RJ, Bjork A, Massung RF, Anderson AD.
Appl Environ Microbiol. 2013 Jan 11.
Subject matter experts decide what topic to feature, and articles are selected from the last 3 to 6 months of published literature. Key topic coincides monthly with other CDC products (e.g. Vital Signs).
- Transmission and epidemiology of zoonotic protozoal diseases of companion animals
Esch KJ, Petersen CA.
Clin Microbiol Rev. 2013 Jan;26(1):58-85.
- Molecules to modeling: Toxoplasma gondii oocysts at the human-animal-environment interface
Vanwormer E, Fritz H, Shapiro K, Mazet JA, Conrad PA.
Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis. 2012 Dec 3.
- Indications for worldwide increased norovirus activity associated with emergence of a new variant of genotype II.4, late 2012
van Beek J, Ambert-Balay K, Botteldoorn N, Eden J, Fonager J, Hewitt J, Iritani N, et al.
Euro Surveill. 2013 ;18(1).
- Toxoplasma gondii prevalence in farm animals in the United States
Hill DE, Dubey JP.
Int J Parasitol. 2012 Nov 28.
- Evaluation of 4 immunochromatographic tests for rapid detection of norovirus in faecal samples
Ambert-Balay K, Pothier P.
J Clin Virol. 2012 Nov 21.
- Molecular epidemiology of noroviruses associated with acute sporadic gastroenteritis in children: global distribution of genogroups, genotypes and GII.4 variants
Hoa Tran TN, Trainor E, Nakagomi T, Cunliffe NA, Nakagomi O.
J Clin Virol. 2012 Dec 4.
- Ranking the disease burden of 14 pathogens in food sources in the United States using attribution data from outbreak investigations and expert elicitation
Batz MB, Hoffmann S, Morris JG.
J Food Prot. 2012 Jul;75(7):1278-91.
- Annual cost of illness and quality-adjusted life year losses in the United States due to 14 foodborne pathogens
Hoffmann S, Batz MB, Morris JG.
J Food Prot. 2012 Jul;75(7):1292-302.
- Norovirus gastroenteritis in immunocompromised patients
Bok K, Green KY.
N Engl J Med. 2012 Nov 29;367(22):2126-32.
Articles about important public health topics that have been mentioned in the press.