Selected weekly by a senior CDC scientist from the standard sections listed below.
- International travelers as sentinels for sustained influenza transmission during the 2009 influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 pandemic
Davis XM, Hay KA, Plier DA, Chaves SS, Lim PL, Caumes E, Castelli F, Kozarsky PE, Cetron MS, Freedman DO.
J Travel Med. 2013 May;20(3):177-84.
- Global concerns regarding novel influenza A (H7N9) virus infections
Uyeki TM, Cox NJ.
N Engl J Med. 2013 Apr 11.
- Virus-specific differences in rates of disease during the 2010 dengue epidemic in Puerto Rico
Sharp TM, Hunsperger E, Santiago GA, Munoz-Jordan JL, Santiago LM, Rivera A, Rodriguez-Acosta RL, Gonzalez Feliciano L, Margolis HS, Tomashek KM.
PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2013 Apr;7(4):e2159.
The names of CDC authors are indicated in bold text.
Articles published in the past 6-8 weeks authored by CDC or ATSDR staff.
- Mesothelioma incidence in 50 states and the District of Columbia, United States, 2003-2008
Henley SJ, Larson TC, Wu M, Antao VC, Lewis M, Pinheiro GA, Eheman C.
Int J Occup Environ Health. 2013 Jan-Mar;19(1):1-10.
- Comparative effectiveness research in cancer: what has been funded and what knowledge gaps remain?
Glasgow RE, Doria-Rose VP, Khoury MJ, Elzarrad M, Brown ML, Stange KC.
J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013 Apr 11.
- Prolonged university outbreak of meningococcal disease associated with a serogroup B strain rarely seen in the US
Mandal S, Wu HM, Macneil JR, Machesky K, Garcia J, Plikaytis BD, Quinn K, King L, Schmink SE, Wang X, Mayer LW, Clark TA, Gaskell JR, Messonnier NE, Diorio M, Cohn AC.
Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Apr 17.
- Missed opportunities for preventing congenital syphilis infection
Introcaso CE, Bradley H, Gruber D, Markowitz LE.
Sex Transm Dis. 2013 May;40(5):431.
- Is there evidence of the new variant Chlamydia trachomatis in the United States?
Won H, Ramachandran P, Steece R, Van Der Pol B, Moncada J, Schachter J, Gaydos C.
Sex Transm Dis. 2013 May;40(5):352-3.
- The hidden epidemic of hepatitis C virus infection in the United States: occult transmission and burden of disease
Top Antivir Med. 2013 Feb/Mar;21(1):15-19.
- Systematics and ecology of the brown dog tick, Rhipicephalus sanguineus
Gray J, Dantas-Torres F, Estrada-Pena A, Levin M.
Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2013 Apr;4(3):171-80.
- Evaluation of imidacloprid-treated traps as an attract and kill system for filth flies during contingency operations
Dunford JC, Hoel DF, Hertz JC, England DB, Dunford KR, Stoops CA, Szumlas DE, Hogsette JA.
US Army Med Dep J. 2013 Apr-Jun:73-9.
- Effects of low-temperature flea maintenance on the transmission of Yersinia pestis by Oropsylla montana
Williams SK, Schotthoeffer AM, Montenieri JA, Holmes JL, Vetter SM, Gage KL, Bearden SW.
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2013 Apr 16.
- Surveillance during an era of rapidly changing poliovirus epidemiology in India: the role of one vs. two stool specimens in poliovirus detection, 2000-2010
Cardemil CV, Rathee M, Gary H, Wannemuehler K, Anand A, Mach O, Bahl S, Wassilak S, Chu SY, Khera A, Jafari HS, Pallansch MA.
Epidemiol Infect. 2013 Apr 18:1-9.
- Correlates of self-reported pelvic inflammatory disease treatment in sexually experienced reproductive-aged women in the United States, 1995 and 2006-2010
Leichliter JS, Chandra A, Aral SO.
Sex Transm Dis. 2013 May;40(5):413-8.
- Forecasting invasive pneumococcal disease trends after the introduction of 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in the United States, 2010-2020
Link-Gelles R, Taylor T, Moore MR.
Vaccine. 2013 Apr 11.
- Correlates of health attitudes among homosexual and bisexual men
Gust DA, Shinde S, Pals SL, Hardnett F, Chen RT, Sanchez T.
J Epidemiol Glob Health. 2013 March;3(1):31-39.
- Fatal adenovirus encephalomyeloradiculitis in an umbilical cord stem cell transplant recipient
Awosika OO, Lyons JL, Ciarlini P, Phillips RE, Alfson ED, Johnson EL, Koo S, Marty F, Drew C, Zaki S, Folkerth RD, Klein JP.
Neurology. 2013 Apr 17.
- The cost-effectiveness of screening men who have sex with men for rectal chlamydial and gonococcal infection to prevent HIV infection
Chesson HW, Bernstein KT, Gift TL, Marcus JL, Pipkin S, Kent CK.
Sex Transm Dis. 2013 May;40(5):366-71.
- Utilization and cost of diagnostic methods for sexually transmitted infection screening among insured American youth, 2008
Owusu-Edusei K, Nguyen HT, Gift TL.
Sex Transm Dis. 2013 May;40(5):354-61.
- A systematic review of anti-rotavirus serum IgA antibody titer as a potential correlate of rotavirus vaccine efficacy
Patel M, Glass R, Jiang B, Santosham M, Lopman B, Parashar U.
J Infect Dis. 2013 Apr 17.
- A survey of US travelers to Asia to assess compliance with recommendations for the use of Japanese encephalitis vaccine
Duffy MR, Reed C, Edelson PJ, Blumensaadt S, Crocker K, Griggs A, Biggerstaff BJ, Delorey MJ, Hayes EB, Fischer M.
J Travel Med. 2013 May;20(3):165-70.
- Enterovirus 71 encephalitis: a new vaccine on the horizon?
Pallansch MA, Oberste MS.
Lancet. 2013 March;381(9871):976-977.
- Differential profiles and inhibitory effect on rotavirus vaccines of non-antibody components in breast milk from mothers in developing and developed countries
Moon SS, Tate JE, Ray P, Dennehy PH, Archary D, Coutsoudis A, Bland R, Newell ML, Glass RI, Parashar U, Jiang B.
Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2013 Apr 11.
- Vitamin D is not associated with serologic response to influenza vaccine in adults over 50 years old
Sundaram ME, Talbot HK, Zhu Y, Griffin MR, Spencer S, Shay DK, Coleman LA.
Vaccine. 2013 Apr 12;31(16):2057-61.
- Serological diagnosis of North American paragonimiasis by Western blot using Paragonimus kellicotti adult worm antigen
Fischer PU, Curtis KC, Folk SM, Wilkins PP, Marcos LA, Weil GJ.
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2013 Apr 15.
- Neuraminidase inhibitor susceptibility testing of influenza type B viruses in China during 2010 and 2011 identifies viruses with reduced susceptibility to oseltamivir and zanamivir
Wang D, Sleeman K, Huang W, Nguyen HT, Levine M, Cheng Y, Li X, Tan M, Xing X, Xu X, Klimov AI, Gubareva LV, Shu Y.
Antiviral Res. 2013 Mar;97(3):240-4.
- Apoptosis induced by tungsten carbide-cobalt nanoparticles in JB6 cells involves ROS generation through both extrinsic and intrinsic apoptosis pathways
Zhao J, Bowman L, Magaye R, Leonard SS, Castranova V, Ding M.
Int J Oncol. 2013 Apr;42(4):1349-59.
- Is bleach-sedimented smear microscopy an alternative to direct microscopy under programme conditions in India?
Vishnu PH, Bhat P, Bansal A, Satyanarayana S, Alavadi U, Ohri BS, Rao Shrinivas MS, Desikan P, Jaju J, Rao VG, Moonan PK.
Public Health Action. 2013 March;3(1):23-25.
- Identifying and classifying bloodstream infections among hemodialysis patients
Semin Dial. 2013 Apr 18.
- Activation and cell death in human dendritic cells infected with Nipah virus
Gupta M, Lo MK, Spiropoulou CF.
Virology. 2013 Apr 12.
- Selected physiologic variables are weakly to moderately associated with 29 biomarkers of diet and nutrition, NHANES 2003-2006
Haynes BM, Pfeiffer CM, Sternberg MR, Schleicher RL.
J Nutr. 2013 Apr 17.
- Race-ethnicity is related to biomarkers of iron and iodine status after adjusting for sociodemographic and lifestyle variables in NHANES 2003-2006
Pfeiffer CM, Sternberg MR, Caldwell KL, Pan Y.
J Nutr. 2013 Apr 17.
- Sociodemographic and lifestyle variables are compound- and class-specific correlates of urine phytoestrogen concentrations in the U.S. population
Rybak ME, Sternberg MR, Pfeiffer CM.
J Nutr. 2013 Apr 17.
- Race-ethnicity is a strong correlate of circulating fat-soluble nutrient concentrations in a representative sample of the U.S. population
Schleicher RL, Sternberg MR, Pfeiffer CM.
J Nutr. 2013 Apr 17.
- Regression modeling plan for 29 biochemical indicators of diet and nutrition measured in NHANES 2003-2006
Sternberg MR, Schleicher RL, Pfeiffer CM.
J Nutr. 2013 Apr 17.
- Among 10 sociodemographic and lifestyle variables, smoking is strongly associated with biomarkers of acrylamide exposure in a representative sample of the U.S. population
Vesper HW, Sternberg MR, Frame T, Pfeiffer CM.
J Nutr. 2013 Apr 17.
- Behaviors and attitudes associated with low drinking water intake among US adults, Food Attitudes and Behaviors Survey, 2007
Goodman AB, Blanck HM, Sherry B, Park S, Nebeling L, Yaroch AL.
Prev Chronic Dis. 2013 ;10:E51.
- Chemical exposure and hearing loss
Campo P, Morata TC, Hong O.
Dis Mon. 2013 Apr;59(4):119-138.
- Finger tendon travel associated with sequential trigger nail gun use
Lowe B, Albers J, Hudock S, Krieg E.
IIE Trans Occup Ergon Hum Factors. 2013 2013/04/01;1(2):109-118.
- Depression, social factors, and farmworker health care utilization
Georges A, Alterman T, Gabbard S, Grzywacz JG, Shen R, Nakamoto J, Carroll DJ, Muntaner C.
J Rural Health. 2013 .
- Conceptual heuristic models of the interrelationships between obesity and the occupational environment
Pandalai SP, Schulte PA, Miller DB.
Scand J Work Environ Health. 2013 Apr 15.
- Annual deaths attributable to physical inactivity: whither the missing 2 million?
Lee IM, Bauman AE, Blair SN, Heath GW, Kohl IW, Pratt M, Hallal PC.
Lancet. 2013 March;381(9871):992-993.
- Government's role in protecting health and safety
N Engl J Med. 2013 Apr 17.
- A historical note on the association between the legal status of expedited partner therapy and physician practice
Cramer R, Hogben M, Handsfield HH.
Sex Transm Dis. 2013 May;40(5):349-51.
- The global availability of rabies immune globulin and rabies vaccine in clinics providing direct care to travelers
Jentes ES, Blanton JD, Johnson KJ, Petersen BW, Lamias MJ, Robertson K, Franka R, Briggs D, Costa P, Lai I, Quarry D, Rupprecht CE, Marano N, Brunette GW.
J Travel Med. 2013 May;20(3):148-58.
Subject matter experts decide what topic to feature, and articles are selected from the last 3 to 6 months of published literature. Key topic coincides monthly with other CDC products (e.g. Vital Signs).
- Measurement issues: screening and diagnostic instruments for autism spectrum disorders - lessons from research and practice
Charman T, Gotham K.
Child Adolesc Ment Health. 2013 Feb 1;18(1):52-63.
- Obesity in young children with autism spectrum disorders: prevalence and associated factors
Egan AM, Dreyer ML, Odar CC, Beckwith M, Garrison CB.
Child Obes. 2013 Apr;9(2):125-31.
- The International Collaboration for Autism Registry Epidemiology (iCARE): multinational registry-based investigations of autism risk factors and trends
Schendel DE, Bresnahan M, Carter KW, Francis RW, Gissler M, Gronborg TK, Gross R, et al.
J Autism Dev Disord. 2013 Apr 7.
- The predictors of distress in parents of children with autism spectrum disorder
Firth I, Dryer R.
J Intellect Dev Disabil. 2013 Mar 19.
- Increasing exposure to antibody-stimulating proteins and polysaccharides in vaccines is not associated with risk of autism
Destefano F, Price CS, Weintraub ES.
J Pediatr. 2013 Mar 29.
- Autism risk across generations: a population-based study of advancing grandpaternal and paternal age
Frans EM, Sandin S, Reichenberg A, Langstrom N, Lichtenstein P, McGrath JJ, Hultman CM.
JAMA Psychiatry. 2013 Mar 20:1-6.
Articles about important public health topics that have been mentioned in the press.
- Incidence and trends of infection with pathogens transmitted commonly through food - Foodborne Diseases Active Surveillance Network, 10 U.S. sites, 1996-2012
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013 Apr 19;62(15):283-287.
- Motor vehicle traffic-related pedestrian deaths - United States, 2001-2010
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013 Apr 19;62(15):277-282.
- Association between total duration of breastfeeding and iron deficiency
Maguire JL, Salehi L, Birken CS, Carsley S, Mamdani M, Thorpe KE, Lebovic G, Khovratovich M, Parkin PC.
Pediatrics. 2013 Apr 15.