Selected weekly by a senior CDC scientist from the standard sections listed below.
- Prostate cancer screening in men ages 75 and older fell by 8 percentage points after task force recommendation
Howard DH, Tangka FK, Guy GP, Ekwueme DU, Lipscomb J.
Health Aff (Millwood). 2013 Mar;32(3):596-602.
- Global estimates of syphilis in pregnancy and associated adverse outcomes: analysis of multinational antenatal surveillance data
Newman L, Kamb M, Hawkes S, Gomez G, Say L, Seuc A, Broutet N.
PLoS Med. 2013 Feb;10(2):e1001396.
- Spectrum of illness in international migrants seen at GeoSentinel clinics in 1997-2009, part 1: US-bound migrants evaluated by comprehensive protocol-based health assessment
Barnett ED, Weld LH, McCarthy AE, So H, Walker PF, Stauffer W, Cetron M.
Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Apr;56(7):913-24.
- Spectrum of illness in international migrants seen at GeoSentinel clinics in 1997-2009, part 2: migrants resettled internationally and evaluated for specific health concerns
McCarthy AE, Weld LH, Barnett ED, So H, Coyle C, Greenaway C, Stauffer W, Leder K, Lopez-Velez R, Gautret P, Castelli F, Jenks N, Walker PF, Loutan L, Cetron M.
Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Apr;56(7):925-33.
The names of CDC authors are indicated in bold text.
Articles published in the past 6-8 weeks authored by CDC or ATSDR staff.
- Attitudes of primary care providers and recommendations of home blood pressure monitoring-DocStyles, 2010
Tirabassi J, Fang J, Ayala C.
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2013 Apr;15(4):224-9.
- The effect of opportunistic illness on HIV RNA viral load and CD4+ T cell count among HIV-positive adults taking antiretroviral therapy
Ekwaru JP, Campbell J, Malamba S, Moore DM, Were W, Mermin J.
J Int AIDS Soc. 2013 ;16:17355.
- What are the reasons for poor uptake of HIV testing among patients with TB in an eastern India district?
Bishnu B, Bhaduri S, Kumar AM, Click ES, Chadha VK, Satyanarayana S, Nair SA, Gupta D, Ahmed QT, Sarkar S, Paul D, Dewan P.
PLoS One. 2013 ;8(3):e55229.
- A cluster-randomized trial of insecticide-treated curtains for dengue vector control in Thailand
Lenhart A, Trongtokit Y, Alexander N, Apiwathnasorn C, Satimai W, Vanlerberghe V, Van der Stuyft P, McCall PJ.
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2013 Feb;88(2):254-9.
- Urinary concentrations of bisphenol A in an urban minority birth cohort in New York City, prenatal through age 7 years
Hoepner LA, Whyatt RM, Just AC, Calafat AM, Perera FP, Rundle AG.
Environ Res. 2013 Apr;122:38-44.
- Socioeconomic disparities in indoor air, breath, and blood perchloroethylene level among adult and child residents of buildings with or without a dry cleaner
Storm JE, Mazor KA, Shost SJ, Serle J, Aldous KM, Blount BC.
Environ Res. 2013 Apr;122:88-97.
- Worldwide transmission and seasonal variation of pandemic influenza A(H1N1)2009 virus activity during the 2009-2010 pandemic
Storms AD, Van Kerkhove MD, Azziz-Baumgartner E, Lee WK, Widdowson MA, Ferguson NM, Mounts AW.
Influenza Other Respi Viruses. 2013 Mar 30.
- Human papillomavirus vaccine coverage among females aged 11 to 17 in Texas counties: an application of multilevel, small area estimation
Eberth JM, Hossain MM, Tiro JA, Zhang X, Holt JB, Vernon SW.
Womens Health Issues. 2013 Mar;23(2):e131-41.
- Historical shifts in Brazilian P. falciparum population structure and drug resistance alleles
Griffing SM, Viana GM, Mixson-Hayden T, Sridaran S, Alam MT, de Oliveira AM, Barnwell JW, Escalante AA, Povoa MM, Udhayakumar V.
PLoS One. 2013 ;8(3):e58984.
- Recent advances in research of HIV infection: implications of viral and host genetics on treatment and prevention
Haaland RE, Johnson JA, Tang J.
Public Health Genomics. 2013 ;16(1-2):31-6.
- Malaria diagnostics and surveillance in the post-genomic era
Lucchi NW, Oberstaller J, Kissinger JC, Udhayakumar V.
Public Health Genomics. 2013 ;16(1-2):37-43.
- Prevalence and predictors of drug use among adolescents with HIV infection acquired perinatally or later in life
Conner LC, Wiener J, Lewis JV, Phill R, Peralta L, Chandwani S, Koenig LJ.
AIDS Behav. 2013 Mar;17(3):976-86.
- Sexual risk taking in relation to sexual identification, age, and education in a diverse sample of African American men who have sex with men (MSM) in New York City
Hampton M, Halkitis P, Storholm E, Kupprat S, Siconolfi D, Jones D, Steen J, Gillen S, McCree D.
AIDS Behav. 2013 ;17(3):931-938.
- National Healthcare Safety Network report, data summary for 2011, device-associated module
Dudeck MA, Horan TC, Peterson KD, Allen-Bridson K, Morrell G, Anttila A, Pollock DA, Edwards JR.
Am J Infect Control. 2013 Apr;41(4):286-300.
- Combined effects of antenatal receipt of influenza vaccine by mothers and pneumococcal conjugate vaccine receipt by infants: results from a randomized, blinded, controlled trial
Omer SB, Zaman K, Roy E, Arifeen SE, Raqib R, Noory L, Seib K, Breiman RF, Steinhoff MC.
J Infect Dis. 2013 Apr;207(7):1144-7.
- Factors associated with receipt of 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) monovalent and seasonal influenza vaccination among school-aged children: Maricopa County, Arizona, 2009-2010 influenza season
Baty SA, Ayala A, Odish M, Cadwell BL, Schumacher M, Sunenshine RH.
J Public Health Manag Pract. 2013 Apr 1.
- A population-based cohort study of undervaccination in 8 managed care organizations across the United States
Glanz JM, Newcomer SR, Narwaney KJ, Hambidge SJ, Daley MF, Wagner NM, McClure DL, Xu S, Rowhani-Rahbar A, Lee GM, Nelson JC, Donahue JG, Naleway AL, Nordin JD, Lugg MM, Weintraub ES.
JAMA Pediatr. 2013 Mar 1;167(3):274-81.
- U.S. postlicensure safety surveillance for adolescent and adult tetanus, diphtheria and acellular pertussis vaccines: 2005-2007
Chang S, O'Connor PM, Slade BA, Woo EJ.
Vaccine. 2013 Feb 27;31(10):1447-52.
- Different types of intimate partner violence likely require different types of approaches to prevention: a response to Buzawa and Buzawa
Matjasko JL, Niolon PH, Valle LA.
J Policy Anal Manage. 2013 Win;32(1):137-139.
- The role of economic factors and economic support in preventing and escaping from intimate partner violence
Matjasko JL, Niolon PH, Valle LA.
J Policy Anal Manage. 2013 Win;32(1):122-128.
- A systematic qualitative review of risk and protective factors for sexual violence perpetration
Tharp AT, Degue S, Valle LA, Brookmeyer KA, Massetti GM, Matjasko JL.
Trauma Violence Abuse. 2013 Apr;14(2):133-67.
- Poor immune responses of newborn rhesus macaques to measles virus DNA vaccines expressing the hemagglutinin and fusion glycoproteins
Polack FP, Lydy SL, Lee SH, Rota PA, Bellini WJ, Adams RJ, Robinson HL, Griffin DE.
Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2013 Feb;20(2):205-10.
- Characterization of nuclear localization signal in the N terminus of integrin-linked kinase-associated phosphatase (ILKAP) and its essential role in the down-regulation of RSK2 protein signaling
Zhou W, Cao H, Yang X, Cong K, Wang W, Chen T, Yin H, Wu Z, Cai X, Liu T, Xiao J.
J Biol Chem. 2013 Mar 1;288(9):6259-71.
- Acid-soluble internal capsules for closed-face cassette elemental sampling and analysis of workplace air
Harper M, Ashley K.
J Occup Environ Hyg. 2013 Jun;10(6):297-306.
- Emergence of a norovirus GII.4 strain correlates with changes in evolving blockade epitopes
Lindesmith LC, Costantini V, Swanstrom J, Debbink K, Donaldson EF, Vinje J, Baric RS.
J Virol. 2013 Mar;87(5):2803-13.
- The receptor-binding site of the measles virus hemagglutinin protein itself constitutes a conserved neutralizing epitope
Tahara M, Ohno S, Sakai K, Ito Y, Fukuhara H, Komase K, Brindley MA, Rota PA, Plemper RK, Maenaka K, Takeda M.
J Virol. 2013 Mar;87(6):3583-6.
- Tropism and infectivity of influenza virus, including highly pathogenic avian H5N1 virus, in ferret tracheal differentiated primary epithelial cell cultures
Zeng H, Goldsmith CS, Maines TR, Belser JA, Gustin KM, Pekosz A, Zaki SR, Katz JM, Tumpey TM.
J Virol. 2013 Mar;87(5):2597-607.
- Molecular determinants of mouse neurovirulence and mosquito infection for Western equine encephalitis virus
Mossel EC, Ledermann JP, Phillips AT, Borland EM, Powers AM, Olson KE.
PLoS One. 2013 ;8(3):e60427.
- Effects of maternal smokeless tobacco use on selected pregnancy outcomes in Alaska Native women: a case-control study
England LJ, Kim SY, Shapiro-Mendoza CK, Wilson HG, Kendrick JS, Satten GA, Lewis CA, Tucker MJ, Callaghan WM.
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2013 Mar 29.
- Prechewing and prewarming food for HIV-exposed children: a prospective cohort experience from Latin America
Gaur AH, Cohen RA, Read JS, Hance LF, Dominguez K, Alarcon JO, Menezes J, Peixoto MF, Mussi-Pinhata MM, Coelho DF, Mitchell C, Siberry GK.
AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2013 Mar;27(3):142-5.
- Micronutrient supplementation and pregnancy outcomes: double-blind randomized controlled trial in China
Liu JM, Mei Z, Ye R, Serdula MK, Ren A, Cogswell ME.
JAMA Intern Med. 2013 Feb 25;173(4):276-82.
- Weighing for results: assessing the effect of IPTp
Gutman J, Eckert E, Mangiaterra V, Bardaji A, Aponte JJ, Menendez C, Nahlen B, Slutsker L.
Lancet Infect Dis. 2013 Apr;13(4):292.
- Patterns of body composition among HIV-infected, pregnant Malawians and the effects of famine season
Ramlal RT, Tembo M, Soko A, Chigwenembe M, Tohill BC, Kayira D, King CC, Chasela C, Jamieson D, van der Horst C, Bentley ME, Adair LS.
Matern Child Health J. 2013 Feb;17(2):265-73.
- Why US adults use dietary supplements
Bailey RL, Gahche JJ, Miller PE, Thomas PR, Dwyer JT.
JAMA Intern Med. 2013 Mar 11;173(5):355-61.
- Proper use of surgical n95 respirators and surgical masks in the OR
Benson SM, Novak DA, Ogg MJ.
AORN J. 2013 Apr;97(4):457-70.
- Perceived competence and comfort in respiratory protection: results of a nationwide survey of occupational health nurses
Burgel BJ, Novak D, Burns CM, Byrd A, Carpenter H, Gruden M, Lachat A, Taormina D.
Workplace Health Saf. 2013 Mar;61(3):103-15.
- Making strides toward active living: the policy research perspective
Eyler AA, Brownson RC, Schmid TL.
J Public Health Manag Pract. 2013 May-Jun;19(3 Suppl 1):S5-7.
- Physical activity and screen-time viewing among elementary school-aged children in the United States from 2009 to 2010
Fakhouri TH, Hughes JP, Brody DJ, Kit BK, Ogden CL.
JAMA Pediatr. 2013 Mar 1;167(3):223-9.
- Evaluation of field triage decision scheme educational resources: audience research with emergency medical service personnel
Sarmiento K, Eckstein D, Zambon A.
Health Promot Pract. 2013 Mar;14(2):174-80.
- Analysis of state obesity legislation from 2001 to 2010
Lankford T, Hardman D, Dankmeyer C, Schmid T.
J Public Health Manag Pract. 2013 May-Jun;19(3 Suppl 1):S114-8.
- Communities of practice foster collaboration across public health
Mabery MJ, Gibbs-Scharf L, Bara D.
J Knowl Manag. 2013 ;17(2):226-236.
- Condom use with serious and casual heterosexual partners: findings from a community venue-based survey of young adults
Hock-Long L, Henry-Moss D, Carter M, Hatfield-Timajchy K, Erickson PI, Cassidy A, Macauda M, Singer M, Chittams J.
AIDS Behav. 2013 Mar;17(3):900-13.
- In their own words: romantic relationships and the sexual health of young African American women
Murray CC, Hatfield-Timajchy K, Kraft JM, Bergdall AR, Habel MA, Kottke M, Diclemente RJ.
Public Health Rep. 2013 Mar;128 Suppl 1:33-42.
- Assessment of human exposures to animal vaccines using poison control records, 2000-2009
Edison L, Schulte J, Schauben J, Kay R, Rubin C.
Zoonoses Public Health. 2013 Mar 31.
Subject matter experts decide what topic to feature, and articles are selected from the last 3 to 6 months of published literature. Key topic coincides monthly with other CDC products (e.g. Vital Signs).
- The benefits of using genetic information to design prevention trials
Hu Y, Li L, Ehm MG, Bing N, Song K, Nelson MR, Talmud PJ, et al..
Am J Hum Genet. 2013 Mar 26.
- Early onset breast cancer in a registry-based sample of African-American women: BRCA mutation prevalence, and other personal and system-level clinical characteristics
Pal T, Bonner D, Kim J, Monteiro AN, Kessler L, Royer R, Narod SA, Vadaparampil ST.
Breast J. 2013 Mar;19(2):189-92.
- Clinical genetics evaluation in identifying the etiology of autism spectrum disorders: 2013 guideline revisions
Schaefer GB, Mendelsohn NJ.
Genet Med. 2013 Mar 21.
- Needs assessment in genomic education: a survey of health educators in the United States
Chen LS, Kim M.
Health Promot Pract. 2013 Apr 1.
- Analysis of circulating tumor DNA to monitor metastatic breast cancer
Dawson SJ, Tsui DW, Murtaza M, Biggs H, Rueda OM, Chin SF, Dunning MJ, et al..
N Engl J Med. 2013 Mar 28;368(13):1199-209.
- Public health implications from COGS and potential for risk stratification and screening
Burton H, Chowdhury S, Dent T, Hall A, Pashayan N, Pharoah P.
Nat Genet. 2013 Apr;45(4):349-51.
- Turning of COGS moves forward findings for hormonally mediated cancers
Sakoda LC, Jorgenson E, Witte JS.
Nat Genet. 2013 Apr;45(4):345-8.
- Evidence of gene-environment interactions between common breast cancer susceptibility loci and established environmental risk factors
Nickels S, Truong T, Hein R, Stevens K, Buck K, Behrens S, Eilber U, et al..
PLoS Genet. 2013 Mar;9(3):e1003284.
- Public health genomics and the new molecular epidemiology of bacterial pathogens
Gilmour MW, Graham M, Reimer A, Van Domselaar G.
Public Health Genomics. 2013 ;16(1-2):25-30.
- Genetic susceptibility to West Nile virus and dengue
Public Health Genomics. 2013 ;16(1-2):4-8.
- Genomics for public health improvement: relevant international ethical and policy issues around genome-wide association studies and biobanks
Public Health Genomics. 2013 ;16(1-2):69-72.
- The genetics of susceptibility to variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
Saba R, Booth SA.
Public Health Genomics. 2013 ;16(1-2):17-24.
Articles about important public health topics that have been mentioned in the press.
- Blood lead levels in children aged 1-5 years - United States, 1999-2010
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013 Apr 5;62(13):245-8.
- Self-reported hypertension and use of antihypertensive medication among adults - United States, 2005-2009
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013 Apr 5;62(13):237-44.
- Vital signs: repeat births among teens - United States, 2007-2010
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013 Apr 5;62(13):249-55.
- Dietary fiber intake and risk of first stroke: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Threapleton DE, Greenwood DC, Evans CE, Cleghorn CL, Nykjaer C, Woodhead C, Cade JE, Gale CP, Burley VJ.
Stroke. 2013 Mar 28.