|Vol. 4, Issue: 47, 11/26/12 |
|Welcome to Science Clips, CDC's weekly digest! |
|This week, Science Clips is pleased to collaborate with CDC Vital Signs by featuring scientific articles from the current Vital Signs issue on Communicable Diseases - HIV/AIDS (www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns). Although not all articles are peer-reviewed they are taken from authoritative sources and represent sound scientific information. Those articles marked with an asterisk are general review articles which may be of particular interest to clinicians and public health professionals seeking background information in this area.|
|Science Clips will return to its regular format next week. Science Clips is a service of the Stephen B. Thacker CDC Library and CDC's Office of the Chief Science Officer.|
The Science Clips is in the public domain and may be freely forwarded and reproduced without permission. The original sources and the CDC Science Clips should be cited as sources. Articles featured in Science Clips may be in-press or uncorrected proofs.
For assistance in obtaining copies of these articles, contact the library at firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-639-1717. Please note that links below to CDC licensed materials are available only through the Intranet and may go through the SFX server. From the SFX window, just click on the full-text link to reach the full-text.
- *Adolescents and HIV: prevention and clinical care
Spiegel HM, Futterman DC.
Curr HIV/AIDS Rep. 2009 May;6(2):100-7.
- *HIV in young men who have sex with men: a review of epidemiology, risk and protective factors, and interventions
Mustanski BS, Newcomb ME, Du Bois SN, Garcia SC, Grov C.
J Sex Res. 2011 Mar;48(2-3):218-53.
- Sexual and drug behavior patterns and HIV and STD racial disparities: the need for new directions
Hallfors DD, Iritani BJ, Miller WC, Bauer DJ.
Am J Public Health. 2007 Jan;97(1):125-32.
- The Mpowerment project: a community-level HIV prevention intervention for young gay men
Kegeles SM, Hays RB, Coates TJ.
Am J Public Health. 1996 Aug;86(8):1129-36.
- Prevention of HIV/AIDS, other STIs and pregnancy; group-based comprehensive risk reduction interventions for adolescents
Community Preventive Services Task Force.
The Community Guide. 2010 .
- Monitoring selected national HIV prevention and care objectives by using HIV surveillance data-United States and 6 U.S. dependent areas-2010
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
HIV/AIDS Surveill Suppl Rep. 2012 Jun;17(3(part A)).
- Confidential health care for adolescents: position paper for the Society for Adolescent Medicine
Ford C, English A, Sigman G.
J Adolesc Health. 2004 Aug;35(2):160-7.
- Youth risk behavior surveillance - United States, 2011
Eaton DK, Kann L, Kinchen S, Shanklin S, Flint KH, Hawkins J, Harris WA, et al.
MMWR Surveill Summ. 2012 Jun 8;61(4):1-162.
- Adolescents and HIV infection: the pediatrician's role in promoting routine testing
Emmanuel PJ, Martinez J.
Pediatrics. 2011 Nov;128(5):1023-9.
- School support groups, other school factors, and the safety of sexual minority adolescents
Goodenow C, Szalacha L, Westheimer K.
Psychol Sch. 2006 Apr;43(5).
Back to Top
|CDC Science Clips Production Staff|
|John Iskander, MD MPH, Editor|
|Rebecca Satterthwaite, MS, Librarian|
|Gail Bang, MLIS, Librarian|
|Deidre Thomas, MLS, Librarian|
|Kathleen Connick, MSLS, Librarian|
|Joseph Dunlap, Web Developer|
DISCLAIMER: Articles listed in the CDC Science Clips are selected by the Stephen B. Thacker CDC Library to provide current awareness of the public health literature. An article's inclusion does not necessarily represent the views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention nor does it imply endorsement of the article's methods or findings. CDC and DHHS assume no responsibility for the factual accuracy of the items presented. The selection, omission, or content of items does not imply any endorsement or other position taken by CDC or DHHS. Opinion, findings and conclusions expressed by the original authors of items included in the Clips, or persons quoted therein, are strictly their own and are in no way meant to represent the opinion or views of CDC or DHHS. References to publications, news sources, and non-CDC Websites are provided solely for informational purposes and do not imply endorsement by CDC or DHHS.