|Science Clips is a service of the Stephen B. Thacker CDC Library and CDC's Office of the Chief Science Officer.
The Science Clips is in the public domain and may be freely forwarded and reproduced without permission. The original sources and the CDC Science Clips should be cited as sources.
- US state alcohol sales compared to survey data, 1993-2006
Nelson DE, Naimi TS, Brewer RD, Roeber J.
Addiction. 2010 Sep;105(9):1589-96.
- A standardized health information system for refugee settings: rationale, challenges and the way forward
Haskew C, Spiegel P, Tomczyk B, Cornier N, Hering H.
Bull World Health Organ. 2010 Oct 1;88(10):792-4.
- The geography of heterosexual partnerships in Baltimore city adults
Gindi RM, Sifakis F, Sherman SG, Towe VL, Flynn C, Zenilman JM.
Sex Transm Dis. 2010 Oct 14.
- The occupational contribution to severe exacerbation of asthma
Henneberger PK, Mirabelli MC, Kogevinas M, Anto JM, Plana E, Dahlman-Hoglund A, Jarvis DL, Kromhout H, Lillienberg L, Norback D, Olivieri M, Radon K, Toren K, Urrutia I, Villani S, Zock JP.
Eur Respir J. 2010 Oct;36(4):743-50.
The names of CDC authors are indicated in bold text.
- The identification of children with adverse risk factor levels by body mass index cutoffs from 2 classification systems: the Bogalusa Heart Study
Freedman DS, Fulton JE, Dietz WH, Pan L, Nihiser AJ, Srinivasan SR, Berenson GS.
Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Oct 27.
- Addressing mental health promotion in chronic disease prevention and health promotion
Perry GS, Presley-Cantrell LR, Dhingra SS.
Am J Public Health. 2010 Oct 21.
- Prevalence of venous thromboembolism among privately insured US adults
Boulet SL, Grosse SD, Hooper WC, Beckman MG, Atrash HK.
Arch Intern Med. 2010 Oct 25;170(19):1774-5.
- Cancer statistics, 2010
Jemal A, Siegel R, Xu J, Ward E.
CA Cancer J Clin. 2010 Sep-Oct;60(5):277-300.
- Injection drug use, HIV and the current response in selected low-income and middle-income countries
Bergenstrom AM, Abdul-Quader AS.
AIDS. 2010 Sep;24 Suppl 3:S20-9.
- Burden of typhoid and paratyphoid fever in a densely populated urban community, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Naheed A, Ram PK, Brooks WA, Hossain MA, Parsons MB, Talukder KA, Mintz E, Luby S, Breiman RF.
Int J Infect Dis. 2010 Sep;14 Suppl 3:e93-9.
- Human papillomavirus infection and cytologic abnormalities of the anus and cervix among HIV-infected women in the Study to Understand the Natural History of HIV/AIDS in the Era of Effective Therapy (The SUN Study)
Kojic EM, Cu-Uvin S, Conley L, Bush T, Onyekwuluje J, Swan DC, Unger ER, Henry K, Hammer JH, Overton ET, Darragh TM, Palefsky JM, Vellozzi C, Patel P, Brooks JT.
Sex Transm Dis. 2010 Oct 14.
- Genetic characterization of clade B measles viruses isolated in Tunisia and Libya 2002-2009 and a proposed new subtype within the B3 genotype
Haddad-Boubaker S, Rezq M, Smeo MN, Ben Yahia A, Abudher A, Slim A, Ben Ghorbel M, Ahmed H, Rota P, Triki H.
Virus Res. 2010 Nov;153(2):258-64.
- Comparison of engorged Culex quinquefasciatus collection and blood-feeding pattern among four mosquito collection methods in Puerto Barrios, Guatemala, 2007
Kent RJ, Gonzalez Reiche AS, Morales-Betoulle ME, Komar N.
J Am Mosq Control Assoc. 2010 ;26(3):332-336.
- Prevalence of Acanthamoeba spp. and other free-living amoebae in household water, Ohio, USA-1990-1992
Stockman LJ, Wright CJ, Visvesvara GS, Fields BS, Beach MJ.
Parasitol Res. 2010 Oct 27.
- Improving the quality of industry and occupation data at a central cancer registry
Armenti KR, Celaya MO, Cherala S, Riddle B, Schumacher PK, Rees JR.
Am J Ind Med. 2010 Oct;53(10):995-1001.
- Tracing the origins of Mycobacterium bovis tuberculosis in humans in the USA to cattle in Mexico using spoligotyping
Rodwell TC, Kapasi AJ, Moore M, Milian-Suazo F, Harris B, Guerrero LP, Moser K, Strathdee SA, Garfein RS.
Int J Infect Dis. 2010 Sep;14 Suppl 3:e129-35.
- Outbreak of acute gastroenteritis in young children with death due to rotavirus genotype G9 in Rio Branco, Brazilian Amazon region, 2005
Siqueira AA, Santelli AC, Alencar LR, Dantas MP, Dimech CP, Carmo GM, Santos DA, Alves RM, Lucena MB, Morais M, Assis RM, Fialho A, Mascarenhas JD, Costa M, Linhares AC, Leite JP, Araujo WN, Hatch DL.
Int J Infect Dis. 2010 Oct;14(10):e898-903.
- Commensal Escherichia coli isolate resistant to eight classes of antimicrobial agents in the United States
Krueger AL, Folster J, Medalla F, Joyce K, Perri MB, Johnson L, Zervos M, Whichard JM, Barzilay EJ.
Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2010 Oct 25.
- Evidence-based classification of recommendations on use of genomic tests in clinical practice: dealing with insufficient evidence
Khoury MJ, Coates RJ, Evans JP.
Genet Med. 2010 Oct 22.
- Reverse genetics generation of chimeric infectious Junin/Lassa virus is dependent on interaction of homologous glycoprotein stable signal peptide and G2 cytoplasmic domains
Albarino CG, Bird BH, Chakrabarti AK, Dodd KA, White DM, Bergeron E, Shrivastava-Ranjan P, Nichol ST.
J Virol. 2010 Oct 27.
- Smoking characteristics of adults with selected lifetime mental illnesses: results from the 2007 National Health Interview Survey
McClave AK, McKnight-Eily LR, Davis SP, Dube SR.
Am J Public Health. 2010 Oct 21.
- Prevalence and psychosocial correlates of current smoking among adolescent students in Thailand, 2005
McKnight-Eily L, Arrazola R, Merritt R, Malarcher A, Sirichotiratana N.
Health Educ Behav. 2010 Oct 27.
- Online dietary supplement resources
Saldanha LG, Dwyer JT, Andrews KW, Bailey RL, Gahche JJ, Hardy CJ, Holden JM, Picciano MF, Roseland JM, Thomas PR, Wolf WR.
J Am Diet Assoc. 2010 Oct;110(10):1426, 1428, 1430-1.
- Decline in the United States black preterm/low birth weight rate in the 1990s: can the economic boom explain it?
Schempf AH, Decker SL.
Ann Epidemiol. 2010 Nov;20(11):862-7.
- Racial disparities in colorectal cancer survival: to what extent are racial disparities explained by differences in treatment, tumor characteristics, or hospital characteristics?
White A, Vernon SW, Franzini L, Du XL.
Cancer. 2010 Oct 1;116(19):4622-31.
- Costs of heart failure-related hospitalizations in patients aged 18 to 64 years
Wang G, Zhang Z, Ayala C, Wall HK, Fang J.
Am J Manag Care. 2010 Oct;16(10):769-76.
- Adverse events in pregnant women following administration of trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine and live attenuated influenza vaccine in the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System, 1990-2009
Moro PL, Broder K, Zheteyeva Y, Walton K, Rohan P, Sutherland A, Guh A, Haber P, Destefano F, Vellozzi C.
Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Oct 19.
- A norovirus vaccine on the horizon?
J Infect Dis. 2010 Oct 27.
- Practice and child characteristics associated with influenza vaccine uptake in young children
Poehling KA, Fairbrother G, Zhu Y, Donauer S, Ambrose S, Edwards KM, Staat MA, Prill MM, Finelli L, Allred NJ, Bardenheier B, Szilagyi PG.
Pediatrics. 2010 Oct;126(4):665-73.
- Adverse event reports following Japanese encephalitis vaccination in the United States, 1999-2009
Lindsey NP, Staples JE, Jones JF, Sevjar JJ, Griggs A, Iskander J, Miller ER, Fischer M.
Vaccine. 2010 Oct 20.
- Approaches to monitoring biological outcomes for HPV vaccination: challenges of early adopter countries
Wong CA, Saraiya M, Hariri S, Eckert L, Howlett RI, Markowitz LE, Brotherton JM, Sinka K, Martinez-Montanez OG, Kjaer SK, Dunne EF.
Vaccine. 2010 Oct 21.
- Renal nitric oxide production in rat pregnancy: role of constitutive nitric oxide synthases
Smith CA, Santymire B, Erdely A, Venkat V, Losonczy G, Baylis C.
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010 Oct;299(4):F830-6.
- Exposure to cigarette smoke inhibits the pulmonary T cell response to influenza and Mycobacterium tuberculosis
Feng Y, Kong Y, Barnes PF, Huang FF, Klucar P, Wang X, Samten B, Sengupta M, Machona B, Donis R, Tvinnereim AR, Shams H.
Infect Immun. 2010 Oct 25.
- A method for rapid, non-targeted screening for environmental contaminants in household dust
Hilton DC, Jones RS, Sjodin A.
J Chromatogr A. 2010 Oct 29;1217(44):6851-6.
- Development of a multilocus sequence typing tool for Cryptosporidium muris and Cryptosporidium andersoni
Feng Y, Yang W, Ryan U, Zhang L, Kvac M, Koudela B, Modry D, Li N, Fayer R, Xiao L.
J Clin Microbiol. 2010 Oct 27.
- Genomic signature-based identification of influenza A viruses using RT-PCR/electro-spray ionization mass spectrometry (ESI-MS) technology
Deyde VM, Sampath R, Garten RJ, Blair PJ, Myers CA, Massire C, Matthews H, Svoboda P, Reed MS, Pohl J, Klimov AI, Gubareva LV.
PLoS One. 2010 ;5(10):e13293.
- Mutations of an antibody binding energy hot spot on domain III of the dengue 2 envelope glycoprotein exploited for neutralization escape
Gromowski GD, Roehrig JT, Diamond MS, Lee JC, Pitcher TJ, Barrett AD.
Virology. 2010 Nov 25;407(2):237-46.
- Pressure distribution on the anatomic landmarks of the knee and the effect of kneepads
Porter WL, Mayton AG, Moore SM.
Appl Ergon. 2010 Dec;42(1):106-13.
- Contact pressure study of N95 filtering face-piece respirators using finite element method
Lei Z, Yang J, Zhuang Z.
Comput-Aided Des Appl. 2010 ;7:847-861.
- Locomotion in restricted space: kinematic and electromyographic analysis of stoopwalking and crawling
Gallagher S, Pollard J, Porter WL.
Gait Posture. 2010 Oct 22.
- A pilot study on the association between job stress and repeated measures of immunological biomarkers in female nurses
Lee KM, Kang D, Yoon K, Kim SY, Kim H, Yoon HS, Trout DB, Hurrell JJ.
Int Arch Occup Environ Health. 2010 Oct;83(7):779-89.
- Development of retrospective quantitative and qualitative job-exposure matrices for exposures at a beryllium processing facility
Couch JR, Petersen M, Rice C, Schubauer-Berigan MK.
Occup Environ Med. 2010 Oct 25.
- Time for change: rethinking and reframing sexual health in the United States
J Sex Med. 2010 Oct;7 (SUPPL. 5):250-252.
- Fatal Clostridium sordellii infections after medical abortions
Meites E, Zane S, Gould C.
N Engl J Med. 2010 Sep 30;363(14):1382-3.
- Human rabies epidemiology in Shandong Province, China
Wang X, Ding S, Li Z, Wang L, Kou Z, Feng K, Wu X, Rupprecht CE.
Jpn J Infect Dis. 2010 Sep;63(5):323-6.
- E-codes and injury surveillance data systems. Policy statement
American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP).
Ann Emerg Med. 2010 Oct;56(4):450.
- Health information technology: revisions to initial set of standards, implementation specifications, and certification criteria for electronic health record technology. Interim final rule with request for comments
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) D.
Fed Regist. 2010 Oct 13;75(197):62686-90.
- The population health record: concepts, definition, design, and implementation
Friedman DJ, Parrish RG.
J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2010 Jul-Aug;17(4):359-66.
- Exclusion of genetic information from the medical record: ethical and medical dilemmas
JAMA. 2010 Sep 8;304(10):1120-1.
- Maternal serum folate species in early pregnancy and risk of preterm birth
Bodnar LM, Himes KP, Venkataramanan R, Chen JY, Evans RW, Meyer JL, Simhan HN.
Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Oct;92(4):864-71.
- Concentrations of unmetabolized folic acid and primary folate forms in pregnant women at delivery and in umbilical cord blood
Obeid R, Kasoha M, Kirsch SH, Munz W, Herrmann W.
Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Sep 15.
- Folic acid and L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate: comparison of clinical pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics
Pietrzik K, Bailey L, Shane B.
Clin Pharmacokinet. 2010 Aug 1;49(8):535-48.
- Effects and safety of periconceptional folate supplementation for preventing birth defects
De-Regil LM, Fernandez-Gaxiola AC, Dowswell T, Pena-Rosas JP.
Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010 ;10:CD007950.
- Variation in folate pathway genes contributes to risk of congenital heart defects among individuals with Down syndrome
Locke AE, Dooley KJ, Tinker SW, Cheong SY, Feingold E, Allen EG, Freeman SB, et al.
Genet Epidemiol. 2010 Sep;34(6):613-23.
- Maternal folate-related gene environment interactions and congenital heart defects
Hobbs CA, Cleves MA, Karim MA, Zhao W, MacLeod SL.
Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Aug;116(2 Pt 1):316-22.
- Global routine vaccination coverage, 2009
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010 Oct 29;59(42):1367-1371.
- Incidence of end-stage renal disease attributed to diabetes among persons with diagnosed diabetes - United States and Puerto Rico, 1996-2007
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010 Oct 29;59(42):1361-1366.
- Rapid diagnostic tests for malaria - Haiti, 2010
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010 Oct 29;59(42):1372-1373.
- Trends in the prevalence of autism on the basis of special education data
Maenner MJ, Durkin MS.
Pediatrics. 2010 Oct 25.
- Evening types are more often current smokers and nicotine-dependent-a study of Finnish adult twins
Broms U, Kaprio J, Hublin C, Partinen M, Madden PA, Koskenvuo M.
Addiction. 2010 Sep 30.
- Just say "I don't": lack of concordance between teen report and biological measures of drug use
Delaney-Black V, Chiodo LM, Hannigan JH, Greenwald MK, Janisse J, Patterson G, Huestis MA, Ager J, Sokol RJ.
Pediatrics. 2010 Oct 25.
Back to Top
DISCLAIMER: Articles listed in the CDC Science Clips are selected by the Stephen B. Thacker CDC Library to provide current awareness of the public health literature. An article's inclusion does not necessarily represent the views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention nor does it imply endorsement of the article's methods or findings. CDC and DHHS assume no responsibility for the factual accuracy of the items presented. The selection, omission, or content of items does not imply any endorsement or other position taken by CDC or DHHS. Opinion, findings and conclusions expressed by the original authors of items included in the Clips, or persons quoted therein, are strictly their own and are in no way meant to represent the opinion or views of CDC or DHHS. References to publications, news sources, and non-CDC Websites are provided solely for informational purposes and do not imply endorsement by CDC or DHHS.