Biological Terrorism Training for Sentinel Laboratories: Anthrax
Course Title: Biological Terrorism Training for Sentinel Laboratories
Course Duration: 90 minutes
Course Description: This module has been developed to provide clinical laboratory scientists with information about the laboratory identification of anthrax. This training with assist clinical laboratory scientists in recognizing potential agents of bioterrorism that they might encounter during routine laboratory work-ups of sputum, blood and aspirate/biopsy specimens. Laboratory managers may consider using this course to:
- Assess staff competency in performing relevant laboratory procedures accurately, and
- Determine whether staff are referring specimens for confirmation tests correctly
Course Objectives: Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe laboratory tests for presumptive identification of B. anthracis
- Describe how to use the sentinel laboratory protocols to RULE OUT or REFER specimens
- Discuss the role of the LRN sentinel laboratory in detection of B. anthracis
Course Credits: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Laboratory Training Branch is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E.® Program.
This course is approved for 1.5 contact hours.This course has been approved for 1.5 contact hours in the category Microbiology/Mycology/Parasitology for Florida Laboratory Licensees.