HIV Testing in Clinical Settings
CDC recommends that individuals aged 13-64 get tested at least once in their lifetimes and those with risk factors get tested more frequently. A general rule for those with risk factors is to get tested at least annually. Additionally, CDC has recently reported that gay and bisexual men may benefit from getting an HIV test more often, perhaps every 3-6 months. This section highlights information for healthcare providers who may be administering HIV tests.
Resources for Healthcare Providers
- Clinical Laboratory Tests
- The 2013 U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations on HIV Testing
- New Tool Kit: Evaluation Toolkit: Patient and Provider Perspectives about Routine HIV Screening in Health Care Settings
- HIV Screening. Standard Care. for Primary Care Providers
- Routine HIV Screening in Health Care Settings: An Interactive Tutorial
- American Academy of HIV Medicine
- The National HIV/AIDS Clinicians’ Consultation Center
- Updated Compendium on State HIV Testing Laws
- Linkage to Ryan White after Reactive HIV Screening test
- Revised Recommendations for HIV Testing of Adults, Adolescents, and Pregnant Women in Health Care Settings
- HIV Infection: Detection, Counseling, and Referral
- Special Populations
- Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP)
- Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)
- HIV Testing in Emergency Departments (Health Research and Education Trust)
- Implementation of Routine HIV Testing in Health Care Settings: Issues for Community Health Centers
- Expanded HIV Testing and African Americans
- CDC HIV/AIDS Science Facts: CDC Releases Revised HIV Testing Recommendations in Health Care Settings
HIV Screening practices and hospital characteristics in the US, 2009-2010. Herrin J, Wesolowski LG, Heffelfinger JD, Bostick N, Hall HI, Ethridge SF, Branson BM. Public Health Reports. 2013 May-Jun; 128(3):161-9.
- Derivation and validation of the Denver Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) risk score for targeted HIV screening. Haukoos JS1, Lyons MS, Lindsell CJ, Hopkins E, Bender B, Rothman RE, Hsieh YH, Maclaren LA, Thrun MW, Sasson C, Byyny RL. Am J Epidemiol. 2012 Apr 15;175(8):838-46. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwr389. Epub 2012 Mar 19.
- Re: "Derivation and validation of the Denver Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) risk score for targeted HIV screening". Rosenberg ES, Delaney KP, Branson BM, Spaulding AC, Sullivan PS, Sanchez TH. Am J Epidemiol. 2012 Sep 15;176(6):567-8; author reply 568-9. Epub 2012 Aug 16.
- Detection of Acute HIV Infection in Two Evaluations of a New HIV Diagnostic Testing Algorithm — United States, 2011–2013
- Page last reviewed: September 18, 2015
- Page last updated: September 18, 2015
- Content source: